Proof that the remaining 10% is worth having your HP to zero
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Sword Art Online Fan Fics
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into romantic or non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Fairy Dance of Death
- Recommended by Mysterius, Tsukishijin, blueespeon, lampyridae
- Synopsis: What if Akihiko Kayaba had created the Death Game of Alfheim Online rather than the floating castle of Aincrad—a world in which the nine player races are explicitly in competition to escape the game, and player killing was not a crime but rather a predictable by-product of human nature and tribalism in the face of mutually exclusive goals? AU reboot of the SAO universe.
- Now has a page in development
by Triggerhappy (crossover with The Familiar of Zero
) (Trope Page
The Prince of Swords
- Recommended by HK87, Savoie
- Synopsis: Louise got her wish to summon the most impressive familiar in her class when she ripped the entire Alfheim setting out of cyberspace and dumped it over Tristain. There's a giant tree looming over the academy, 61,000 "elves" who don't know why they're suddenly able to feel pain, monsters running amok in the countryside, and one particular black swordsman with an awful sense of deja vu. But what's become of Asuna, and what will the local schemers make of these new arrivals?
Fairy Dance Alternate
- Recommended by MrTerrorist
- Synopsis: Kazuto was always exceptionally talented, but limited by his own idea of kindness. Having been corrected at an early age, he excels through life without much of a purpose. Now trapped in a rather gruesome death game of his own choice, he will attempt to break though it as Kirito, the famed Prince of Swords. Kirito/Multi
- Comments: So what would happen if Kirito was never a loner and was taught to care about others? You will have this fanfic. Kirito is not only nice guy, but he isn't shy with the ladies and treats them well, has leadership skills and leads a badass of a guild composed of his Battle Harem! Highly recommended.
Swords of the Living Dead
- Recommended by blueespeon
- Synopsis: What if it was Kirito's mind that was trapped by Sugou Nobuyuki rather than Asuna's? How differently would the events of the Fairy Dance arc play out? Will Asuna and Kirito still be able to earn their happy ending or will there be a more tragic outcome?
- Pairings: Kirito/Asuna
- Comments: Some torture and threat of rape; nothing that hasn't occurred in canon, but here it's to a somewhat higher degree.
- The story has received some criticism for Arc Fatigue while others have been fine with the pacing.
- Its own page is currently under development
The Other Blacksmith
- Recommended by blueespeon and Treguard
- Synopsis: Rather than a castle floating in the sky, Kayaba Akihiko has created a world where the dead refuse to stay put in their graves. Players fight to reclaim Aincrad, a massive city spanning 100 districts, from the grasp of the undead. But when they find themselves trapped in this nightmarish world, zombie-hunting ceases to be all fun and games. Welcome to SLD. Follows Kirito and Sinon.
Zero Art Online
- Recommended by lampyridae, Kazeto
- Synopsis: If Sinon had been in SAO…then Kirito would've gotten multiple complaints on a scamming blacksmith, and in attempting to resolve this, bite off more than he can chew.
The Kirita Chronicles
- Recommended by CryptIXeeper
- Synopsis: A cross-over between Zero no Tsukaima and Sword Art Online, Louise gets bodily reverse-summoned into Sword Art Online, just as Kayaba's Forced Teleportation gathers all 10,000 players for his announcement. The Death Game is on. The story is short, but well worth the read.
- Pairing: Louise/Klein (Nothing happens aside from a kiss, and that takes place when she's 18.
Kadyn and Camilla Saga
- Recommended by blueespeon
- Synopsis: What would have happened if certain characters' genders were altered while others remained the same? How differently would certain events play out & affect the development of certain relationships? Who will live & who will die? See how the alterations of certain characters' genders & histories will cause ripples throughout the story.
- A page is currently being made.
Fate Revelation Online
- Recommended by TypeProton
- Synopsis: Adventures of a husband-and-wife team through the game, told from Kadyn's first-person perspective. A well written set of stories showing the world through the eyes of ordinary players. Though the author has been wanting to rewrite some of them as these are author's early take on SAO. Currently consists of 3 works:
- Recommended by Leid
- TvTropes Page
- Synopsis: Ilya likes to play video games, and in the time she has remaining, Shirou is more than willing to play the new VR game with her. But when they are trapped inside the game, [Sword Art Online], they determine something even more distressing: Kayaba Akihiko is definitely a Magus.
- Comments: What when you apply Nasuverse into the Sword Art Online story? You get this excellent story, featuring the cast of both series as they try to survive.
- Status: In progress.