Fanfic: The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova
A Fan Fic
based on Pokémon Black and White
, but with a twist: it tells the story as seen from one of Black's Pokémon, a Glaceon named Boreas. It can be found here
List of tropes appearing in The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: the chapter titles do this occasionally: Dire Difficulties at the Daycare; Pursuit of Plasma; The Stolen Skull; Rolling Rocks; and Of Trapped Tails, Crazy Corvids, and Fencing Friends.
- An Ice Person: Boreas, obviously. I mean, he's a Glaceon.
- Anti-Hero: Boreas is a type 2.
- Anyone Can Die: After chapter 38...
- The Big Guy: Lucius.
- Breather Episode: Part seven (chapters 43-49) gives a very well-deserved break after the Darker and Edgier part six. Also Chapter 12, appropriately named "Repose", is about the characters taking a vacation of a month after the battling against Team Plasma during the chapters before it and some light romance.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Boreas, Aqua, and Black are this on occasion.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Selene the Murkrow. Burgh and N also count.
- Character Development: At the beginning of the flashback, Boreas is a very childish young Eevee with a big trauma due to his family's Death by Origin Story. By now, he has grown up a lot (though he occasionally has his lapses of childishness) and has had closure for his family's death.
- Combat Pragmatist: Boreas. He frequently used underhanded tactics, like throwing macaroni into his opponent's eyes or taking the enemy trainer hostage to force him to surrender. He also uses groin attacks against Diego on multiple occassions.
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to the original games. The main characters occasionally battle the Seven Sages, who all seem to be around Ghetsis' power level and shoot to kill.
- Part six (chapters 36-42) compared to the rest of the fic.
- The final part counts as well.
- Deadpan Snarker: Octa, on many occasions. One of the best examples is from chapter 15: "You jumped off a boat on a river while having little to no swimming experience because you saw a lady? You have surpassed yourself, my dear fellow."
- Death by Origin Story: Boreas' family. Also, Aqua's boyfriend Lothario, who was killed by human hunters.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Boreas often has trouble concentrating when talking to Aqua.
- The Dragon: Diego, to Ghetsis. It's even pointed out by chapter 50's title "Day of the Dragons". Notice that dragons is plural, while the only literal dragon important to the chapter is Zekrom. But the chapter also features a big fight scene with Diego.
- Exact Words:
Boreas: You can't evolve into a Slowpoke!
Zephyrus: I can't; you can too!
"I kissed her! She kissed me! We snogged, osculated, smooched, made out! Whatever you want to call it, the result is the same: we kissed."
- Improvised Weapon: Boreas' plans frequently use these. So far, he's used macaroni, soup, stalactites, and shattered plastic tables.
- In Medias Res: The story begins roughly in the middle, and for 35 chapters, most of it is a flashback.
- Jerkass: Lucius.
- Kick the Dog: Diego, N's Zoroark, hangs Boreas by his tail from a metal scaffolding for a whole night when he defeats him.
- Killed Off for Real: Poor Capella...
- It turns out Zeph was dead all along...
- Boreas himself in chapter 76... or not.
- The Lancer: Octa is this to Boreas, though Boreas has more of the traditional Lancer traits while Octa has more of the traditional Hero traits.
- Man on Fire: Boreas gets set on fire during chapter 11.
- Mistaken for Gay: Lucius often mistakes Boreas and Octa for gay. Or he's just being a Jerkass.
- Never Found the Body: Zeph.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Octa, whose full name is Octavianus.
- Only Mostly Dead: Zeph.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Octa. Only the monocle and top hat miss, and he actually wears those in the Pokémon musical.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Boreas and Octa. A slight subversion in that Boreas is the more intelligent of the two, though Octa is more knowledgeable and more sensible.
- Running Gag: Black not understanding what his Pokémon say and Lucius mistaking Octa and Boreas for gay.
- Before Boreas evolves, he's often mistaken for different species of Pokemon, including a Lillipup and a Vulpix.
- Boreas using groin attacks on Diego also seems to become one, which Boreas lampshades at one point by saying he "still hasn't learned to cover his weak points".
- Sacrificial Lion: Capella. She gets a lot of character depth and her friendship with Boreas becomes very important to him before she is suddenly killed off.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Octa. Frequently Lampshaded.
- Boreas sometimes mimics this, such as in chapter 15, when first meeting Capella: "Others call me Boreas, for 'tis my name. My acquaintance here, a gentleman of great skill and ego, is named Octavianus, but he prefers others to say Octa when using the vocative, for Octavianus, though a glorious name to bear, is quite too polysyllabiccally sesquipedalian to use in conversation."
- Shout-Out: Chapter 7 has one to Homestar Runner.
- Villainous Friendship: The Dragon Diego regards The Big Bad Ghetsis as his friend. Whether it is mutual or Ghetsis is just acting isn't shown.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Toxica gives an EPIC one to Octa come Chapter 52.