Make A Wish
is a Harry Potter fic written by Rorschach's Blot
After the events of Order Of The Phoenix
, Harry decides that he doesn't particularly want to simply go off and die in a final confrontation with Voldemort, at least not without having a chance to see a bit of the world first. What follows is a vacation that spans the summer (and a good part of the fic), and takes Harry, under the alias Mr. Black, through several countries, adventures, and more than a few dead Death Eaters.
It also has a sequel, The Hunt For Harry Potter
, by the same author.
Make A Wish provides examples of:
- Catch Phrase: When asked for more details on who he is, Mr. Black will invariably reply: "I'm just a guy on vacation."
- Coming of Age Story: This is a Harry Potter fic, so that's to be expected.
- Contrived Coincidence: This happens a lot.
- Hyper Competent Sidekick: Henchgirl, to the Professor. In fact, the only reason she got the title of "Hench" is because the Professor won a coin-toss.
- Lots And Lots Of Characters: Subverted in Mr. Black's entourage. While the Professor, Henchgirl, and the Doctor all play major supporting roles, the Architect and the Mechanic have very small parts, and the Tailor and the Leather Worker are never even seen, while many characters just get a name and one scene and maybe a callback or omake later in the story.
- Mad Scientist: The Professor, a rare non-malicious version.
- Mistaken for Badass: There are so many accidental deaths around "Mr. Black" that pretty much the entire magical community is convinced that he's some sort of super-wizard. In point of fact, it's all just a string of coincidences.
- Only Sane Man:
- Mr. Black feels like this when compared to the Professor and Henchgirl (and to a lesser extent the Doctor and the Architect), not to mention all the strange situations he finds himself in.
- Even more so in the sequel, where Luna, Hermione, and Tonks each thinks that she's the only sane woman in their trio. None of them are.
- Shout Out:
- Took a Level in Badass: Mr. Black, by the end of the story.
- Weirdness Censor: Mr. Black has a bracelet that makes it difficult for people to focus on the details of his person, explicitly called an SEP ("someone else's problem") Field.