I'm just a guy on vacationMake A Wish
is a Harry Potter fic written by Rorschach's Blot
After the events of Order of the Phoenix
, Harry decides that he doesn't particularly want to simply go off and die in a final confrontation with Voldemort, at least not without having a chance to see a bit of the world first. What follows is a vacation that spans the summer (and a good part of the fic), and takes Harry, under the alias Mr. Black, through several countries, adventures, and more than a few dead Death Eaters.
It also has a sequel, The Hunt For Harry Potter
, by the same author, along with numerous fan-made omakes and sequels that can be found on his Yahoo Group.
Make A Wish provides examples of:
- Achievements in Ignorance: Many of Mr. Black's accomplishments are completely unknown to him.
- Becoming the Mask: At the end of the story after Harry kills Voldemort, he decides to leave his old life behind and embrace the Mr. Black persona fully.
- Berserk Button: When you murder an innocent child, Mr. Black will have no restraint in dealing with you.
- Catch Phrase: When asked for more details on who he is, Mr. Black will invariably reply: "I'm just a guy on vacation."
- Coming of Age Story: This is a Harry Potter fic, so that's to be expected.
- Contrived Coincidence: This happens a lot. It is implied that these coincidences are instead planned out by the members of a family that can see the future, led by the person that sold Harry the things for his travel.
- It's also possible that the coincidences happen because of Harry's insane luck. On one occasion he wanders through a casino, and places a single bet. A bet that wins so big, the casino investigates it, turning up a cheat in the process.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Played with. Mr. Black is believed to have been a Dark Lord who destroyed civilizations in a previous life and is now The Atoner. That doesn't stop him from scarying pretty much everyone.
- The Dreaded: Mr. Black. Death Eaters would rather go to Azkaban than risk the chance that Mr. Black might kill them in a horribly gruesome way
- The Grim Reaper: After Harry picks up a scythe, many people think he's the personification of Death, or possibly what inspired the Grim Reaper in the first place.
- Good Is Not Nice: Just because Mr. Black helps out the local law enforcement does not mean that he won't resort to extreme measures when they aren't looking.
- Guilt Complex: Harry's got one of these, and it only gets bigger after he finds out what everyone expects out of "Mr. Black."
- Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- Hyper Competent Sidekick: Henchgirl, to the Professor. In fact, the only reason she got the title of "Hench" is because the Professor won a coin-toss.
- Karma Houdini: Wormtail
- Knight in Sour Armor: Harry
- Known Only by Their Nickname: The majority of Harry's companions.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Subverted in Mr. Black's entourage. While the Professor, Henchgirl, and the Doctor all play major supporting roles, the Architect and the Mechanic have very small parts, and the Tailor and the Leather Worker are never even seen, while many characters just get a name and one scene and maybe a callback or omake later in the story.
- Mad Scientist: The Professor, a rare non-malicious version.
- Mistaken for Badass: There are so many accidental deaths around "Mr. Black" that pretty much the entire magical community is convinced that he's some sort of super-wizard. In point of fact, it's all just a string of coincidences.
- Of course, "Mr. Black" is actually quite Badass himself, particularly after his... upgrades. It's just overshadowed by the things that happen around him or are mistakenly attributed to him.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Mr. Black becomes a hybrid of vampire and werewolf, plus the fact that his blood is mixed with basilisk venom and phoenix tears, among other things.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations: Harry's innocent conversations with the local crime boss.
- Only Sane Man:
- Mr. Black feels like this when compared to the Professor and Henchgirl (and to a lesser extent the Doctor and the Architect), not to mention all the strange situations he finds himself in.
- Even more so in the sequel, where Luna, Hermione, and Tonks each thinks that she's the only sane woman in their trio. None of them are.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Harry becomes part-werewolf at one point.
- Secret Keeper: The Weasley twins are the only canon characters aware of Mr. Black's true identity.
- Took a Level in Badass: Mr. Black, by the end of the story.
- Weirdness Censor: Mr. Black has a bracelet that makes it difficult for people to focus on the details of his person, explicitly called an SEP ("someone else's problem") Field.