Fan Fic: Long Road To Friendship
Long Road to Friendship
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic, written by The Albinocorn.
Set immediately following the events of Equestria Girls
, Sunset Shimmer wants to move on with her life and get into the top spot at Canterlot High School. The only problem is, she's now under magical compulsion
to do whatever anyone politely asks of her, and to always tell the truth when asked a question. That, and the five members of the Mane Six won't leave her alone.
Though ostensibly a ship fic between Sunset Shimmer and the human world's Twilight Sparkle, the fic provides a look into Sunset's psyche as she slowly begins to see what her actions have caused
, and how she adjusts to her curse, as well as what it does to her life.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: According to this story Sunset a martial artist skilled enough to take on multiple people at once. Who knew?
- Adorkable: Human!Twilight, especially when talking about Sunset Shimmer.
- After-School Cleaning Duty: Sunset Shimmer gets a lot of this, being hit with months of detention for destroying the school.
- Alpha Bitch: Sunset Shimmer is trying not to be one of these anymore. While she's still aggressive and fairly cynical, she's at least trying to improve.
- Armor-Piercing Question:
- Sunset asks Trixie "have you ever considered that you're just not very good at magic?" This gets Trixie so angry, she nearly fries Sunset with a magical blast that covers her father's shop in soot.
- Sunset also gives one to Rainbow Dash, when Dash calls out Sunset on her years of abusing Fluttershy. Sunset asks Dash "and in all that time, why didn't you ever come to her defense?" This question gets Dash so angry that she attacks Sunset.
- Asleep in Class: Sunset falls asleep in class a few times after she can't get any sleep at home.
- Awful Truth: Sunset points out to Rainbow Dash that, during Sunset's bullying days, Dash never once came to Fluttershy's defense. This gets Dash so angry that she attacks Sunset.
- Berserk Button: Sunset hates the word "demon," especially being called one.
- Big Sister Instinct: Applejack most certainly has it, as Sunset notes to herself when Apple Bloom and the other Canterlot Motley Crew get lost in the Everfree Forest. One moment Applejack is just about ready to strangle Apple Bloom, and the next she's talking calmly to keep Apple Bloom from falling down the cliff she's hanging on to once they find her.
- Broken Tears: Sunset, to Twilight, at Pinkie Pie's sleepover. Sunset confesses that she finally understand what a monster she was to everyone else, and now truly regrets what she did.
- Brutal Honesty: Sunset is forced to be brutally honest to Pinkie Pie, thanks to her curse. Sunset says she finds Pinkie annoying and obnoxious, which hurts Pinkie's feelings. Sunset thinks that "this is why people tell little white lies" when it happens.
- Cassandra Truth: After Sunset and the rest of the Mane Six tell Human!Twilight about what happened a few days ago and the pony world, Twilight thinks it's a joke, hazing the "new girl."
- This happens a few other times with questions Sunset is asked throughout the fic. Just because Sunset has to tell the truth doesn't mean anyone has to believe her.
- Catapult Nightmare: This happens to Sunset Shimmer after every one of her nightmares. Sometimes, multiple times a night.
- Clothing Damage: The leather jacket Sunset wears gets ripped, torn, and partly eaten by a goat. She eventually throws it away, along with all the crowns she won at the Canterlot High dances, to symbolize her attempt to make a fresh start.
- Continuity Nod: Fluttershy's line on how "sometimes, we all need to be shown a little kindness" is lifted straight from the second episode of the TV show.
- Cool Bike: Sunset has one, but it's undergoing repairs when the fic starts. She gets it back several chapters in.
- Curse Cut Short: When Rarity asks Sunset's opinion on jewelry.
Rarity: "What do you think, Sunset? Does this make me look good?"
Sunset: "I think it makes you look like a wh—"
Rarity: "Ooh, is that a ruby necklace?"
- Cuteness Proximity: In chapter 23, Sunset befriends a cute little puppy named Spot. She eventually devolves into petting and baby talk with Spot, until she's caught by Fluttershy.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sunset Shimmer, Rainbow Dash. Twilight gets a little of this too, after she starts hanging out with the main characters more.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Sunset Shimmer and Rainbow Dash, though the latter is an ice queen just to the former.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Sunset is more than a little put-off by her new friends wanting to buy her things to spruce up the factory where she lives, saying that she "isn't a free-loader." She also preemptively shoots down what Sunset believes would be Rarity's offer to stay with any of them. Sunset finally acquiesces to "small gifts" in Chapter 25, then returns to the factory with armloads full of gifts.
- Driven to Suicide: Fluttershy almost considered it a few times, thanks to Sunset Shimmer's bullying over the years. When Sunset finds out, she's horrified.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Sunset gets these after being sleep deprived. It gets her out of detention one day after Principal Celestia notices it.
- Fire-Forged Friends: This is what ultimately happens with Sunset Shimmer and Rainbow Dash. The two come to blows in a park, only to get interrupted by Dash's old gang, the Griffons. Sunset and Dash fight them off, at which point Dash isn't interested in fighting Sunset anymore.
- First-Person Smartass: Sunset. Much of the narration concerns Sunset snarking about what morons everyone else is.
- Geas: The curse placed upon Sunset by the Elements of Harmony. Sunset has to tell the truth when someone asks her a question (except about the curse; she doesn't have to answer that). And, when someone politely asks (not demands) something from her, especially if they say "please," Sunset has to do it.
- The curse also shows itself to be pretty flexible, too. The part about doing favors extends even if the question wasn't directed at Sunset, as she found out in Artemis Lulamoon's magic show. Also, if someone asks Sunset to be somewhere at a certain time, Sunset will start going there against her will as soon as the clock strikes that time if she's not already there.
- Halloween Cosplay: The "Spectacular Seven" all dress up as characters from The Wizard of Oz for Halloween. Sunset Shimmer, appropriately, is the Tin Man... er, Tin Girl.
- Hello Again Officer: Shining Armor pulls Sunset over for speeding. Later that day, he spots her again when she drops Twilight off at home.
- Hidden Depths:
- Human!Twilight can play the violin exceptionally well. Sunset uses this to convince her that her new friends don't see her as a "replacement" for Princess!Twilight from the pony world. After all, Princess!Twilight could never play the violin, so Human!Twilight has something that separates them.
- Sunset is a former student of Celestia, so she's very intelligent, both in book smarts and in strategic analysis and planning.
- I Am a Monster: Sunset, twice. Once after finding out her bullying nearly drove Fluttershy to suicide and once at Pinkie Pie's Halloween party, in a tearful confession to Twilight after her curse starts getting to her.
- I Hate Past Me: Sunset comes to greatly despise the side of her that made her do the things she did in Equestria Girls.
- Incoming Ham: Anytime Artemis Lulamoon is about to enter the scene, you'll know it's coming.
- Insistent Terminology: At Halloween, Sunset isn't the Tin Man, she's the Tin Girl.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sunset, after a good dose of Character Development. She's noticeably upset when her curse causes her to be brutally honest with Pinkie Pie, with Sunset saying that she finds Pinkie annoying. Past Chapter 20, Sunset has gotten much more polite and courteous without realizing it, though she's still pretty snarky to everyone.
- Kill It with Fire: Sunset repeatedly threatens to do this to a pink pony doll.
- Large Ham: Artemis Lulamoon. Trixie had to learn it from someone.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Artemis Lulamoon's magic tricks. He appears out of nowhere in a grocery store, miraculously fixes Sunset's broken nose, and Trixie is able to cause a small explosion that covers their store in ash. Sunset initially chalks the two up as particularly impressive stage magicians, but is coming to suspect they may have actual magic after all.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sunset's reaction to finding out she nearly drove Fluttershy to suicide shocks and horrifies her.
- She has another, smaller one of these after Rainbow Dash reveals she joined the Griffons gang because of Sunset.
- New Transfer Student: Human!Twilight.
- Oblivious to Love: Sunset is entirely unaware of Twilight's feelings for her. She eventually starts to suspect in Chapter 24, but brushes the idea off as silly.
- Oh, Crap: The end of Chapter 2, when Sunset realizes what the Elements of Harmony meant when they cursed her.
- Pointy-Haired Boss: Trixie. The first thing she does when Artemis gives her control of his magic shop is to try and fire Sunset. Artemis shoots her down immediately.
- Precision F-Strike: When Sunset tells Rainbow Dash that she's not going to hurt Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash snaps back with "Bullshit!"
- Precocious Crush: Twilight develops one on Sunset Shimmer. Sunset only starts to figure it out in Chapter 24 after Twilight tries playing footsie with her under the table.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Principal Celestia ensures Sunset Shimmer keeps to the school's rules and does her time for the events of Equestria Girls. However, she is more than willing to overlook one or two transgressions if selfless intentions are involved.
- Twilight's brother Shining Armor is a cop, and dedicated to the law from what is shown so far. However, despite Sunset's speeding by about 20mph over the limit, he lets her go with a warning because she saved Twilight's life.
- Reality Ensues: Sunset has no family, no public records, no official identification, and few practical skills. The result is she had to get by in the other world by stealing and mooching off boyfriends, and lives in an abandoned factory with nothing to do in her spare time, and very few material possessions. The Humane Five are surprised when they find out her living situation and see it for themselves.
- Recurring Dreams: Sunset keeps having nightmares, mostly involving her demon form from Equestria Girls and the zombified students. She starts having them so often that she loses sleep.
- Redemption Quest: Invoked. The Elements of Harmony place Sunset on one against her will.
- Rescue Romance: Sunset saves Human!Twilight from muggers, which starts Twilight's attraction to her.
- Sanity Slippage: After the events of the film, Sunset starts having trouble sleeping due to nightmares and her geas makes her very irritable. As an example, she wins a pink unicorn at a fair and names it "Twilight Sparkle", and begins to talk to it as if it were Equestria!Twilight. After a while the writing drops the idea of Sunset voicing her responses and narrates entire conversations between it and Sunset.
- Searching the Stalls: Sunset finds Human!Twilight crying in the bathroom after a particularly rough day, thinking that the rest of the Mane Six are only friends with Princess Twilight, not her.
- Shipper on Deck: Cadance. Justified, as Cadance is a love advice radio talk show host.
- Shout-Out: One of the things Sunset sees in the haunted house is clearly the Slender Man.
- Smart People Play Chess: Human!Twilight and Sunset play a particularly intense game of it during their first trip to the mall. They have another one when they hang out with the Humane Five and Flash Sentry, though Sunset grumbles that Flash Sentry caused her to lose after hovering over Twilight's shoulder.
- Stalker with a Crush: Flash Sentry, to Twilight. While Twilight is polite and courteous to Flash, it's clear that she's not interested in him. And besides that, Flash is crushing more for Equestria's Twilight.
- Sweet Dreams Fuel: Invoked by Sunset, who has Twilight ask her to "please have a nice dream." It works. She dreams of defeating the demon version of herself, with Sunset as the Tin Girl and the demon as the Wicked Witch of the West. It also gives Sunset the best night of sleep she's had in weeks.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: Sunset's fight with the thugs that harassed Human!Twilight. This happens again when she and Rainbow Dash have to fight each other, and then the Griffons gang. Notably, when Gilda has Sunset in a headlock, Dash clobbers Gilda with a cheap shot to the side of the head.
- Tsundere: Sunset is a classic Type A; outwardly cruel and mean-spirited, inwardly more mature and kind.