Fan Fic: Tiberian Eclipse
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
/ Command & Conquer: Tiberian Series
ongoing crossover by Material Defender posted in 11th December 2012.
Slightly more than one hundred years after the end of Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight
, humanity, using reverse engineering Scrin technology, began to establish colonies in other star systems. However, it turned out, that Earth was not the only planet that has been infected with the green crystals. Dozens of other worlds had already been claimed by Tiberium and after some time the Scrin returned in full force, attacking human colonies across space, stopping humanity expansion. Therefore Global Defense Intiative become the Interstellar Defense Intiative (ISDI) and began to fight with Scin and reclaim infected planets. Meanwhile, a spaceship ITC Methuselah
approaching to a certain world heavily covered in Tiberium...
At the same time, things have gone to disaster over the previous three years in Equestria. Ever since as one of the strange meteorites had crashed into the far north of the country, a deadly green crystal has spread over much of the world like a plague. Things look bleak. Only Canterlot is left now, horrible storms wreck the land, all plantlife is dead or mutated and the animals were altered into horrible beasts. Morale is at an all-time low due to the conditions in which the survivors live and Princess Luna having fallen sick with little hope of recovery. Now the prospect of having with Applejack lost one of the Elements of Harmony and facing extinction, only a miracle can save them now...
Fanfic can be read here
Unfortunately, it seems that it will be a Dead Fic
beacause author is offline for over three months now and in August 2014 he wrote on his blog that he struggles with depression and lost interest in continuing his stories.
Tiberian Eclipse contains examples of:
- Action Bomb: Mutated Parasprites. As if the originals weren't already bad enough, they now become a flying suicide bombers.
- Alien Autopsy / Alien Abduction: Inverted in the sense that humanity are the "aliens" in this fic and they have to allay the ponies' concerns about such possibilities.
Harold: That’s going to have to wait until we finish the relocation. (he replied. The ponies’ ears all seemed to twitch in curiosity at that statement, a strange habit that left Harold repeatedly speechless) Right... so, we’re going to relocate you all to the clinic that we just set up in Canterlot. With you girls there, and especially the Princess, they’ll be happy to see that you’re all alive and well... and not taken off to some alien camp down the hill to be dissected.
- Alien Non-Interference Clause: Played Straight. While allowed to help save other races from the Scrin and Tiberium, the ISDI is forbidden from interferring in interal affairs of extraterrestrial governments, unless the lives and/or property of the ISDI and/or extraterrestrials are threatened and/or harmed. Also, after the crisis is resolved, the ISDI will take their equipment back until normal trading procedures are determined.
- Already Done for You: ISDI has the means of getting rid of Tiberium and treating Tiberium-related medical problems the ponies have been looking for.
- Annoying Arrows: Otis' reaction to being shot by the Scrin.
- Apocalypse How: Basically the complete depopulation and devastation of planet Equis. The ISDI is there to prevent this.
- Big Bad: The Scrin, obviously. It looks like the dragons also could be this.
- Badass Adorable: Trixie's Forgotten group. Bunch of cute but badass ponies.
- Benevolent Alien Invasion: The ISDI's Expeditionary Force. Without their intervention, the Equestrians would probably go extinct.
- Big Damn Heroes: ISDI. Without their help, ponies would not stand a chance. Plus, there are a few other alien species whose planets has been infected by Tiberium and humans saved them from total extinction (unfortunately, most of these species are only shadows of themselves now and live in the protectorates).
- Blessed with Suck / Took a Level in Badass: Trixie and the other pony mutants.
- Body Horror: Every infected pony and animal. Taken up to eleven with the Parasprites.
- Broad Strokes: The story does seem to take place in a continuity where most of season 3 doesn't seem to have happened. While Cadence and Shining Armor are married and do seem to use the Crystal Heart to protect Canterlot (although it is not explicitly said so), Twilight is still a unicorn, Discord is nowhere to be seen and Twilight is obviously surprised at what humans look like.
- The first chapter of the story was written before the Episode "Magic Mystery Cure" and the author has stated he has a more than mild distaste for the Jerkass Discord. As such, he prefers to leave Discord's present status a mystery and that he won't be re-writing the whole story just to make Twilight an Alicorn Princess.
- This troper have also written to the author and he has confirmed this story begins after Season 2 and it is possibly an Alternate Universe fiction (he is undecided on whether to add the additional tag to the story or not). As to whether any of the events from Season 3 (other than Magic Mystery Cure) has taken place or not before the start of the story, the author has cryptically replied in past letters that the audience should come to their own conclusions on the matter.
- Construct Additional Pylons: Considering that the ISDI has to gain land on a completely new planet, it is actually justified. While they do get reinforcements, they have to produce their own war material.
- Continuity Nod: The fic has numerous to the C&C verse.
- Numerous classical buildings are mentioned. Among others: power stations, the refinery, silos, pavement and automatic gates.
- How Tiberium was named (after the Tiber River) is told, although a hint at Kane's different naming convention is given.
- Cool Pet: Otis, the Ursa Minor.
- Cool Starship: ITC Methuselah.
- Crapsack World / Death World: Equestria. Tiberium everywhere, mutated lifeforms everywhere, practically all important cities (including Staliongrad, Trottingham, Cloudsdale and Ponyville) are destroyed, weather is insane, soil is unable to give crops and Canterlot holding only because it is located high above the ground and Shining Armor and Cadence created a force field around it.
- Cult: A band of mutated Diamond Dogs who have become the Equestrian equivalent of the old Brotherhood of Nod!
- Cuteness Overload: Commander Tricia Hampton reaction after seeing Applejack. It was hilarious!
- This happened to her AGAIN upon her crawler's arrival to Canterlot. It was more controlled, but just barely.
- Deflector Shields: Shining Armor and Cadence created a force field around Canterlot but at the time of arrival of the humans, they were in very serious condition due to fatigue. Later, humans drop their own force field generator directly from orbit straight on Canterlot market square.
- Determinator: The Pony Mutants led by Trixie.
- Princess Luna. Despite having come out of a life-saving operation just a day ago, missing parts of her body, her wings being de-feathered and generally being horribly weak, she still feels the need to do something to help. The Royal Canterlot Voice also still is in working order.
- Doomed Hometown: The story starts on the cheerful note of Ponyville's evacuation just as the Tiberium is overrunning it.
- Goes for every city in Equestria, apart from Canterlot.
- Downer Beginning: Ponyville is being evactuated and the majority of the remaining Equestrians except for Trixe and her fellow band of mutant ponies that have survived the Tiberium outbreak are crammed into Canterlot, protected by the Magical Shield of Shining Armor and Princess Cadence. Applejack has been infected with Tiberium and chooses to stay behind to prevent any of the other ponies from being infected by her. She's losing consciousness and is on the verge of death. Fortunately, the ISDI show up just in time to give her medical treatment and save her life.
- Eldritch Location: While practically the whole world has become this thanks to Tiberium, the mutated Everfree Forest turns it Up to Eleven.
- The End of the World as We Know It: While the ISDI is trying to prevent Equestria and it's native sentients from being destroyed by Tiberium and the Scrin, the old era of Equestria has ended due to Tiberium and contact with life from other planets.
- Evil Minions: Blueblood's band of loyalist nobles, palace servants, and hired thugs/muscle.
- Evolution Power-Up / Power-Upgrading Deformation : The majority of the surviving wildlife on Equestria and Trixie and her Forgotten-like mutant ponies.
- Failsafe Failure: The sonic rings fail to contain the effects of the Purple Tiberium shard and have to be re-booted and re-programmed.
- Faster-Than-Light Travel: The Scrin develop this as a workaround of Threshold Towers limitations. The late GDI/Unascended Brotherhood Of Nod Alliance/early ISDI reverse-engineered this.
- Fantastic Science / Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: Interestingly enough, from both Protagonist Factions. The ISDI is trying to "scientifically" figure out how Equestrian magic works and Twilight Sparkle is taking a analytical approach in trying to figure how ISDI technology works.
- Find the Cure: Twilight and others worked hard, but due to their too low tech-level didn't find one. Thankfully, the ISDI does have the cure and is willing to give it to them without anything in return.
- Genre Blindness / Wrong Genre Savvy: Very heavy on both sides. The Equestrians face a near-extinction event prior to the ISDI's arrival due to lack of knowledge and tech for Tiberium medical treatment and Tiberium harvesting procedures. The ISDI are also dealing with being a futuristic, Sci-Fi Fleet and Army in a High Fantasy / Sugar Bowl Setting. Both Factions are struggling to deal with the magical Tiberian shard they captured and the mutated wildlife that uses a combination of Tiberium-caused powers AND magic!
- Green Rocks: The Equestrians literally call Tiberium this, before being told what the ISDI and Scrin call it.
- Grenade Tag: The ISDI Commando, Lieutenant Viers, uses a C4 Trap to attack a Ursa Minor.
- Ha Ha Ha No: While this line isn't used per se, it is played with. This occurs when Commander Alexandra laughs and makes a negative reaction (although not saying an outright "no") to Celestia's inquiries about a possible take-over attempt/invasion by the ISDI.
: So I noticed. I think him being here will do well to show that your group is not all simply about discipline and military affairs
... (She craned her neck towards him and whispered) Many fear that your arrival is merely the harbinger of your impending conquest. I dearly hope that such a thing isn’t true
That elicited a chuckle from him as he merely crossed his arms and reclined further against the bench’s backrest, an addition he found odd to have for ponies, especially with how Celestia sat next to him: stomach against the ground with no use of the backrest.
Commander Alexandra: I think humanity’s period of conquest has long since passed, Princess. (he said) It’s not obvious to all of your ponies here, but we’ve been fighting a war since long before we showed up here. There’s no need to fear my superiors coming down here to try to oust you all from you land and turn you all into slaves or anything like that.
- Heel-Face Turn: Brotherhood of Nod. After Kane leaving, their remnants apparently began to work with the GDI / ISDI. Hell, the Methuselah has on board a squad of Black Hand troopers!
- The Highwayman: Trixe's Forgotten pony mutants attempt to rob a ISDI supply convoy.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: The commonly used MLP Fanfic "curse" word "buck" is used in place of the F Bomb...sometimes.
- Home Base: As to be expected with a C&C crossover, bases play a big role. Justified in that they do need to secure an area on a completely new planet.
- The ISDI has three bases by the most recent chapter: Greenwood (near Ponyville), Castle (next to Centerlot) and Providence (at Winsome Falls).
- The ponies meanwhile have made Canterlot their home base.
- Humongous Mecha: Offensive crawler Mobius and defense crawler Aegis.
- I Am a Monster / What Have I Become?: The Diamond Dog POW's initial reaction to himself after his brainwashing wears off. Played with concerning Trixe and the other mutant ponies.
- In-Joke: The camp named "Greenwood" is an obvious play upon "Westwood", the name of the developing studio of the C&C series.
- Intentional Engrish for Funny : The Berg-Langstramm Device when it is still in it's earlier phases of translating Equestrian. However, the programming gets advanced to the point that it even eventually translates Applejack's accent! We have yet to see if vice versa was true for the ponies or Diamond Dogs or not.
- Interservice Rivalry / We ARE Struggling Together : Commander Alexandra of The Steel Talons and Commander Trent Redding of ZOCOM. Alexandra prefers unconventional tactics/misdirection/surprise while Redding prefers digging in and More Dakka to get things done. As you can imagine, Redding accuses Alexandra of being too reckless (even though he still tries to minimize casualties among his troops) and Alexandra accuses Redding of being too dependent on doing things "by the book."
- Irony: The Steel Talons is the "Powerhouse" sub-faction in Tiberium Wars, while ZOCOM is the "Subversive" (or atleast as subversive as any GDI-subfaction is) subfaction. Alexandra perfers misdirection tactics compared to Redding who just ploughs through.
- I Will Only Slow You Down: Sort of. Applejack gets infected with Tiberium and knows she's dying. She tells the others to leave so she won't infect others and is prepared to die on her devastated farm. Good thing the ISDI was there in time to rescue and heal her.
- Just Before the End: Averted, but played with heavily. Equestria is on the verge of being destroyed prior to the ISDI's arrival.
- Kill It with Fire: The Inferno Corps. Other ISDI troops also used flamethrowers in a chapter where they were engaged in tunnel warfare.
- Last Stand: The "siege" variant mentioned on the Last Stand Page. Except in this case, it's Canterlot holding out against ion storms, earthquakes, Tiberium growth and poisoning, and hostile mutated wildlife-at least until the ISDI shows up.
- The Leader: Trixie. As. A. Leader. Of. Forgotten-like. Group. A little of each Type.
- Lost World: In the sense that a multitude of creatures from Earth's myths are VERY real on Equestria, including the unicorns, peagsi, dragons, and other native sentient beings.
- Low Culture, High Tech / Schizo Tech / Anachronism Stew: The Ponies are a hodgepodge of medieval, steam and modern tech (presumably because of the usage of magic in place of modern tech) and are attempting to learn how to use the futuristic arsenal of the ISDI as a part of joint-military operations. The ISDI is also attempting to adjust weaponry for pony use due to lack of fingers, thumbs or a rotating torso/bipedal stance. As stated above, it has been hypothesized by some ISDI personnel/scientists that the hodgepodge of pony tech may be due to the usage of magic, as well as being a reason for a lack of thumbs for tool-making/tool-usage (despite being able to make said tools and use them without fingers and/or thumbs).
- Magic from Technology: How the Ponies see ISDI/Human Technology. Despite taking techniques and spells such as levitation and transmutation for granted, they are amazed by technology such as sonic weapons and power armor.
- Magic Knight: Shining Armor, unicorns in the Royal Guard, and possibly the unicorns amongst the Equestrian mutants/Forgotten
- Magic Versus Science: The ISDI is trying to figure out how Magic works and The Equestrians are trying to figure out how ISDI science and technology works. Also it turns out that the Magic used by the Forgotten Ponies is VERY effective against the Scrin as it can pierce high-tech armor!
- The Medic: In Ops Officer Wesley. He also TRIPLES as a plant biologist and In Ops Officer (as per his title).
- Mega Corp.: Idris Corporation. Played slightly with some of the pony nobles when they are compared to Idris. While not a corporation per se, they have shown tendencies to abuse their power via executive privilege/leverage.
- The Man Behind The Tiberium: Again, the Scrin. It's subtle, but when the ponies learn that it isn't just a random disaster but someone trying to destroy their world to further their own goals it gives them a new determination.
- Mind Manipulation: Scrin's Masterminds from Subjugator Cult specializes in this. Fortunately, the ISDI has learned how to counteract them.
- The purple Tiberium is made to manipulate minds... and do even worse things.
- More Dakka: An Ursa Minor looks really fear-inspiring... unless you have the needed firepower to take them down.
- Mundane Fantastic: The ponies take the magic that amazes the ISDI for granted. Yet, at the same time, the ponies are amazed by the "magic" of ISDI technology.
- Mutants: Most of the surviving flora and fauna of Equestria and the Pony Forgotten group.
- The Plague: Tiberium is that to the ponies as it had already caused countless deaths and horrible suffering, with many suffering from Tiberium poisoning.
- Post Modern Magic: Hinted at in recent chapters as magic will be needed to modify Zone Trooper armor for unicorns spell casting and use.
- Powered Armor: ISDI Zone Troopers and Zone Enforces. And Pony Zone Troopers in future chapters.
- Retcon: The really strange game mechanics of C&C4 get partially reversed. While Crawlers do exist, the ISDI is seen to make extensive use of classical MCV's that turn into construction yards. Fixed bases are also very important again.
- Ridiculously Fast Construction: Actually explained and justified in-story by advances in technology and the properties of Tiberium.
- Suicide Attack: The mutated Parasprites have one weapon: exploding themselves.
- Technology Porn: The entire ISDI.
- There IS No Kill Like Overkill: Not only a tactic/strategy for the ISDI but is also a literal quote made by Commander Hamilton.
- Translator Microbes: The ISDI-developed Lang-Bergmann Translation Device.
- The Lost Woods: The normal Everfree Forest had been bad enough. Now imagine all of the trees turned into blossom trees (yes, these freaky trees you got a wonderful look at in Tiberium Dawn cutscenes!) that are now semi-live and constantly spew Tiberium spores. It is little wonder why the ISDI plans to destroy the entire forest.
- Wave Motion Gun: ITC Methuselah's ion cannon. For the first time, it was used to destroy a Tiberium glacier to clear the path for a convoy. It was quite spectacular. For the Equestrians, that scene was a Oh, Crap moment as well! Later it was used against a first wave of Scrin attack.
- While Rome Burns: Prince Blueblood's parties during the crisis.
- Winged Unicorn: The first thing the humans note about Celestia. Seconds later they conclude that it should be logical for a hybrid of all three pony races to be in a governmental position.