Ace of Spades
by LeontinaStardust available on FanFiction.net
and Archive of Our Own
is a Batman: The Dark Knight
and Harry Potter Crossover
and Slash Fic
(The Joker/Harry Potter
, Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn
After saving the world Harry gets PTSD
and loses control of his magic
, accidentally killing Ginny Weasley.
The Magical World, not wanting to get their hands dirty with charging their world's savior quietly strips Harry of his wand and has him secretly sent to a Muggle Asylum. Forsaken by the very people he saved Harry is shuffled between various mental institutions; none of which are prepared to help a wizard and Harry's condition worsens into full on psychosis.
Harry ends up in Arkham where he makes the acquaintence of a mad doctor with a burlap sack over his head that wants to use him in his experiments
, a police officer that is actually concerned about his well-being, and a fascinating man with scars on his face
who also wants to see the world burn...
(Has nothing to do with the video game of the same name.
Ace of Spades provides examples of:
- Accidental Murder: Harry killed Ginny.
- Actor Allusion: Harry asks Jim Gordon if he is by any chance Sirius Black with amnesia.
- Affably Evil: Harry and his new "friends."
- All of the Other Reindeer: This is part of Acey's Freudian Excuse. Also Batman when he pulls his Zero-Approval Gambit:
Acey: I told you... I told you you'd be hunted, despite all the good you've done. Gotham made you a villain without you doing anything wrong. I tried to warn you but you didn't listen.
- All Therapists Are Muggles: Harry couldn't tell his therapists about his problems even if he wanted to because they wouldn't believe him anyway.
- Attempted Rape: Harry's cellmate. Harry kills him in self-defense. Later a man drugs his drink but Harry is saved by Batman (much to Harry's humiliation.) Averted with the Joker
- Ax-Crazy: The Joker and Harry.
- The Bad Guy Wins
- Bastard Boyfriend: The Joker to Harry.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: This is part of the reason why Harry becomes obsessed with Jim Gordon.
- Bedlam House: Arkham Asylum
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil
- Big Sister Mentor: Harley Quinn to Harry.
- Broken Ace: Harry as the Ace.
- The Chessmaster: The Joker, Harry is an aspiring one as well.
- The Commissioner Gordon
- Composite Character: This Joker is a fusion of the Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson versions.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Harry.
- The Corrupter: The Joker.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: The Joker is jealous of the time Harry spends with Bruce Wayne and of the attention Harry gives to stalking Jim Gordon.
- Cute and Psycho: Harry and Harley Quinn
- Dark and Troubled Past: Harry.
- Dark Fic
- Death Dealer: Harry as Ace.
- Discard and Draw: Harry loses access to all his magic for a time but comes to be able to perform wandless magic summoning fire very well.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Harry Potter / the Ace of Spades is much more powerful than the Joker but the Joker makes it clear who's in charge.
- Driven to Madness: Harry.
- Dude, Where's My Reward?: After saving their world, the magical world has Harry Potter committed.
- Dysfunction Junction: What do you expect with a villain family? Up to Eleven when Acey adopts James Gordon Jr. and Teddy Lupin into the family. Call child services!
- Et Tu, Brute?: Harry feels very betrayed when Ron and Hermione testified against him.
- Evil All Along: Harry and Jimmy (James Gordon Jr.) were working with the Joker all along.
- Evil Is One Big Happy Family: there are many cameos of other members of Batman’s Rogues Gallery.
- Evil Makeover: Harry as the Ace of Spades.
- Evil Mentor: The Joker.
- Fallen Hero: Harry.
- The Family That Slays Together: The Joker, Harry, Ivy, and Harley. Joker is like the daddy, Ivy is like the mommy and Harry and Harley are like the bratty kids. "It's my turn to fire the bazooka!"
- The Farmer and the Viper: Because Jim Gordon was nice to Harry Potter Acey becomes obsessed with him. Later Jim Gordon adopts Harry into his family. As a result his wife and daughter are killed and it's revealed that not only Harry but also Gordon's son Jimmy were working with the Joker all along.
- Fan-Art:  and 
- Five-Bad Band:
- Freudian Excuse: When Batman and Jim Gordon discover how badly the Ace was abused and neglected they come to believe that Harry is just a brainwashed tool for the Joker and that he isn't evil on his own. Oops.
- Fusion Fic: The fic loosely follows the plot of The Dark Knight and Harry seems to have taken the place of Two-Face in the narrative as the Fallen Hero that is corrupted by the Joker and has ties to Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon.
- Genki Girl: Harley Quinn.
- Go Among Mad People
- Hero Antagonist: Batman
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Harry/the Ace to the Joker.
- I Reject Your Reality: Harry has become delusional believing that Sirius must still be alive and have somehow become Jim Gordon after falling through the veil.
- I Warned You: Acey to Batman when Batman has to pull his Zero-Approval Gambit.
- Knife Nut: The Joker and Harry.
- Knight Templar: The wizarding world and their attempt to "help" Harry.
- Living with the Villain: Harry befriends Bruce Wayne; neither realize the other's true identity.
Acey: It's kind of funny though; friends in one identity, enemies in the other.
- Madden Into Misanthropy: Harry
- Mama Bear: Poison Ivy is protective of Harley and Harry.
- Manipulative Bastard: The Joker towards Harry It's pretty clear that he was behind the Scarecrow's torturing Harry. Also Harry plays Jim Gordon, his son Jimmy (a.k.a. James Gordon Jr.), and Bruce Wayne like a piano.
- The Mentally Disturbed: Harry and his new friends.
- Mind Rape: It's what Scarecrow does for a living.
- Never My Fault: It's not Harry’s fault he accidentally(?) killed Ginny It's all THEIR fault.
- Odd Friendship: Harry and Bruce.
- Parental Substitute: Poison Ivy reminds Harry of his mother and Jim Gordon reminds Harry of Sirius Black (a Parental Substitute of a Parental Substitute.)
- Patchwork Fic: The fic is based loosely on the Nolan-verse but it also incorporates elements from the earlier Batman movies as well as the Batman comics and animated series.
- Playing with Fire: this is the kind of wandless magic Harry comes to specialize in.
- Power Incontinence: Harry becomes so stressed he loses control of his magic.
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: Harry.
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: Averted. Harley Quinn is psycho and the Joker's ex-girlfriend but she's moved on and bears no animosity towards the Joker or Harry.
- Psycho Psychologist: Dr. Crane/Scarecrow.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Harry/Acey.
- Pyro Maniac: Acey.
- Sanity Has Advantages: Harry is THIS close to discovering that Bruce Wayne is Batman but instead he gets distracted by some pretty rollerskates.
- Scars Are Forever: Of course Harry already has the one scar but the Joker gives him some more.
- Self-Harm: And Harry gives himself some more scars.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Harry.
- Slash Fic: Joker / Harry and Ivy / Harley
- Social Engineering: Harry is a master at it.
- The Sociopath: The Joker, Insane!Harry, the Scarecrow, Harley, Ivy.
- Stalker Without a Crush: Harry towards Jim Gordon after Harry come to the logical conclusion that Jim Gordon is Sirius Black with amnesia.
- Superpower Lottery: Even when depowered and suffering from Power Incontinence Harry is still one of the most powerful characters in the setting he's in.
- That Man Is Dead: Harry Potter is dead. There is only Ace.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: Harry
- Title Drop: Harry's new villain name is Ace of Spades.
- Too Funny to Be Evil
- Transplant: Harry Potter and Luna Lovegood in the The Dark Knight Saga.
- Troubled, but Cute: Harry
- Unholy Matrimony: The Joker and Acey.
- Unreliable Narrator: Harry is nuts so his perceptions are a bit skewed.
- Unwitting Pawn: Harry to whatever the Joker has "not" planned. Harry wants to burn the world down but it's also pretty clear he's being deceived...
- Villain Protagonist: Harry.
- Villain Team-Up
- Wholesome Crossdresser: After escaping Arkham Harry is eager to get out of the straight-jacket even if it means wearing Harley's clothes.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Harry as Ace.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: during the prison break the Joker encourages Harry to kill the Scarecrow who was torturing him (in all likelihood on the Joker's orders)
- You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You: If Harry told his doctors anything approaching the truth, they would only assume he was more delusional.
- Yuri Genre: Harley and Ivy are the Beta Couple.