The Last Phantom
is a comic book series published by Dynamite Comics
. It is a Darker and Edgier
take on The Phantom
This series provides examples of:
- Cheap Costume: Even though he's abandoned the mantle, Kit always carries his Rings and Gunbelt with him in an attache case. But...not an actual COSTUME. He's improvised two costumes so far, but now has also made a more "proper" costume.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Quisling.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Quite a few of them.
- Darker and Edgier
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: The previous Phantom.
- Eye Scream: When we see the present Phantom's father in the flashbacks, his face is always in shadow. Observant readers may notice that only one of his eyes is showing. When his (masked) face is finally revealed in Issue 5, it's shown that at some point he suffered an injury to his face that cost him his left eye. Issue 7 reveals that actress Reagan Fawkes shot it out when he spoiled a staged kidnapping.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Still has 'em.
- Parental Marriage Veto: Implied when Kit actually asks HIS father for permission to marry the woman he loves.
- Technical Pacifist: By the time he officially dons the mantle. He had absolutely no qualms about killing earlier in the series, though.
- The Faceless: Averted, except for the scene in Issue 5 where he makes his first public appearance as "The Phantom" in the series. There, shadows and a panel cutoff are used to keep his eyes hidden.
- Training from Hell: Kit's flashbacks to his childhood ring of this, it could be one reason he abandoned the mantle.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future: With "stealth suits" reminiscent of the Phantom 2040 cartoon.
- Underwear of Power: In the first issues, the ONLY "clothing" in his costume besides his boots and gun belt.
- Wham Episode: The Last Phantom Annual #1... apparently the previous Phantom faked his death, and is still out there somewhere!
- Zorro Mark: With both the Skull and Good Mark rings. It also goes into detail on just HOW the marks are made.