Comic Book: Chaos War
After the Incredible Hercules series ran its course and a couple of miniseries featuring Amadeus Cho the plot threads left hanging were finally resolved in this Crossover event.The Japanese evil god Amatsu-Mikaboshi, who got a hold on many enslaved alien gods during Secret Invasion, goes on a rampage across the universe intending to destroy the entire creation and return everything to primordial chaos. Unlike Annihilus however, he takes out gods and other supernatural entities first. Hercules, who has just come back from his supposed death with a significant power boost, assembles a team of gods and close enough individuals to combat the king of chaos.
Chaos War contains examples of:
- And I Must Scream: Ares got turned into Chaos King's puppet and sent to murder his son while staying conscious.
- The Anti-God: Chaos King is described by Eternity in these very terms. His goal is to 'unmake' all existence.
- Backup from Otherworld: Since the various death gods were obliterated, a number of dead heroes got back in the land of living, which came rather handy with most living people being put in coma.
- Big Bad: Amatsu-Mikaboshi, the Chaos King.
- Deus Exit Machina: Eternity appears but refuses to fight Chaos King because he can't exist without him even though his victory means Eternity will cease to exist.
- Do Androids Dream?: The Vision is one of the Avengers temporarily brought Back from the Dead, suggesting he is actually a living being. This contradicts The Thanos Imperative, where a parallel universe Vision was immune to posession by Eldritch Abominations specifically because as a synthezoid he was never really alive to begin with.
- Evil Versus Oblivion: Mikaboshi wants to destroy everything and that includes evil entities like Nightmare and Satan.
- Killed Off for Real: Athena by Hercules, in defiance of her request that he continue to be Top God.
- Like a Badass out of Hell: Notable example is the Abomination. Before death he got trounced by a single Hulk. After power boost from Chaos King he knocked around several.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Hercules reveals the Godheads' whereabouts to force them fight back against Mikaboshi instead of hiding. Mikaboshi simply slaughters them and their realms, adding to his already immense power.
- Pocket Dimension: How the Chaos King is dealt with; by putting him, at full power, in a dimension where he believes he did win... while the majority of the multiverse has a reset that brings back those he killed.
- Reset Button: At the end Hercules used his super-god powers to restore almost entirely destroyed universe, bringing several characters Back from the Dead while he was at it.
- Rousing Speech: At first subverted, with heroes being of not very high opinion about Hercules, but played straight soon after.
- Too Dumb to Live: Hercules has been granted omniscience, along with omnipotence, which would allow him to know before hand if a plan is going to work or the proper course of action to win. He never uses it which causes him to make one mistake after another including letting Mikaboshi into heaven by the front door. He also inisist on punching Mikaboshi even after it doesn't work. It takes getting his butt kicked, his hyper-smart friend Amadeus Cho, Gaea, and finally an attempt at consulting his omniscience to make him consider trying something else. Except he goes back to trying to punch Mikaboshi and is losing until Cho tricks Mikaboshi into another universe. Some god of gods.
- Took a Level in Badass: Both Hercules and Amatsu-Mikaboshi. Since they were Physical Gods to begin with, you can imagine just what this implies.