Characters for Zetsuai 1989
A reserved and unapproachable young man with a dark past. His whole passion bears on soccer and he plays the ball like he's obsessive about it to let out all his anger, pain and hate.
One of the most successful rock stars in Japan with his hauntingly beautiful voice and very attractive features. He is the youngest of three Nanjo brothers. He always was notorious for loving danger (former leader of a motorcycle gang) and for his coldness towards everything and everyone. In spite of his external coldness and toughness reposes in him deep emotions and passion, which he expresses through his songs. He is madly in love with Izumi, and has been since childhood.
The matriarch of the Izumi family, a beautiful woman with a totally broken psyche. She has spent several years in jail after killing her husband and wounding her eldest son.
The second Izumi child and only daughter. A remarkably sweet young girl whom Izumi adores.
Voiced by: Etsuko Nishimoto
The "runt" of the Izumis, a very cute little kid.
Ryuuichirou Nanjou and Ayako
Kouji's father Ryuuichirou is the leader of a very
powerful, rich and influential clan, and his main priority is the clan's very famous kendo dojo. Kouji's mom Ayako was a famous actress and model, as well as and one of his lovers.
Eldest son of the Nanjou family, and the one who handles the family business.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- The Dutiful Son: One of the coldest versions ever. One of the reasons why he doesn't get along with Kouji is because Kouji is better in everything but still refuses to follow the family traditions, while Hirose has struggled all of his life to be the perfect son and heir.
- Hot Dad: In the manga, we see his second wife Kaoruko and his son Tatsuomi.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Mighty Whitey and Mellow Yellow: Genderflipped with him and his American first wife. They got hitched when he was studying abroads, but they got divorced when he returned home. He then married the very Japanese Kaoruko, who'd give birth to Tatsuomi.
The second son of the Nanjous. He absolutely LOATHES Kouji with all of his soul, and adores the ground Hirose walks on.
- Big Brother Worship: To Hirose
- Mommy Issues and Oedipus Complex: His beloved mother was forced to leave the Nanjou family when little Kouji was taken in by their dad. That's why he loathes Kouji so much.
- The Unfavorite: To really emphasize this at their father's will-reading Hirose is left with the family business and Kouji get the family estate. What does Akihito get? An advisory role under Hirose at the company.
The only daughter of the Nanjous.
A cute girl who, at some point, goes out with Izumi. That makes Kouji mad
- The Beard: Kouji accuses her of being this to Izumi after raping her out of jealousy
- Fangirl: Of Izumi.
- Rape as Drama: Poor girl gets raped by Kouji.
Kouji's manager and best friend. his father is the owner of Kouji's recording company.
A young girl whom Kouji once befriended. She was Shibuya's sister, and Kouji's kindness to her before she died sealed their friendship
Eri Iijima and Kunihide Kasaya
Kasaya is one of Izumi's teammates, Eri is his girlfriend. Hirose uses them both to get back at Kouji
- Fangirl: Eri, for Kouji. She went Yandere after Kouji announces his retirement.
- Loony Fan: Eri.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Kasaya willingly goes along with Hirose's plan for Izumi, thinking the latter is going to be tortured by Hirose. But when Kasaya realizes that Hirose arranged a rape for Izumi, he tries to intervene to stop it. It doesn't work.
- Yandere: Eri doesn't take the news to Kouji's retirement announcement very well and tries to stab him to death.