open/close all folders
KevinThe main character. A 10 year old boy who's interested in history.
Kevin's ParentsA couple who only care about how good their kitchen is and gossip about how someone they know has the latest technology.
The Time Bandits
A gang of dwarfs that come from Heaven and helped God create the Universe. But they decided that robbing people over time was more fun.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Nice Hat
- With Friends Like These...: The other Bandits don't like Randall too much. Can you blame them?
RandallThe leader of the gang.
- It's All About Me
- Jerk Ass
- The Leader: The headstrong type.
- The Napoleon
- Not So Different: He says to Kevin that they both have a lot in common. But Kevin doesn't buy it. Can you blame him?
WallyThe brawn of the gang.
StrutterThe brains of the gang.
FidgetThe nice one.
- Back from the Dead
- Beware the Nice Ones: when the Time Bandits get led through Robin Hood's men's spitting contest, he's the only one with the nerve to spit back at them. He doesn't miss either!
- Killed Off for Real
- The Lancer
- Nice Guy: Tries to protect Kevin on various occasions, and asks the Supreme Being to reward him at the end.
OgThe stupid one.
- Animorphism: Evil turns him into a pig.
- The Ditz
- Mind-Control Device: The Evil Genius uses him to lure the Bandits to the Fortress of Ultimate Darkness so that Evil can have the map to take over the world.
- The Sixth Ranger
VerminThe hungry one.
- Randall: Vermin! Would you stop eating?
EvilAlso known as the Evil Genius, he is the main villain who wants to take over the Universe and understand modern technology.
- A God Am I: Mind you, as a Satanic Archetype and the embodiment of Evil, he is extremely powerful, but he still is so far behind his creator the Supreme Being that said Supreme Being turns him into a statue by his mere presence. Yet he still boasts about being way more powerful than the Supreme Being, calling himself "all-powerful" and claiming to have existed before the Supreme Being (see Badass Boast).
- All There in the Script: A kind of schizophrenic example. The script and the credits refer to him as "the Evil Genius". However, throughout the film, he is referred to (and refers to himself) as simply "Evil".
- Badass Boast: "I… am Evil! Evil existed long before Good. I made myself. I cannot be unmade. I am all-powerful!!''"
- Bad Boss: He kills one of his minions all just for asking him why can't he leave the fortress.
- Berserk Button: Never say that the Supreme Being created him, unless you want to get blown up.
- Evil Brit: Courtesy of David Warner.
- Evil Genius: Allegedly.
- Evil Laugh: Of course.
- Faux Affably Evil: He apologizes to someone after accidentally zapping him.
- Large Ham: Throughout the film, and most of all during the aforementioned Badass Boast
- Laughably Evil: In the climax, he fights the heroes in the funniest ways, like turning himself into a carnival prop and turning into a pin cushion. However, that does not make him any less threatening or effective.
- A God Am I: His motivation for taking over the world. That and understanding technology.
- Made of Evil: The physical embodiment of it. Even after his death, his coal-like remains are said to still be "concentrated evil" that blast the Lotterby parents out of existence as soon as they touch it.
- Psychic Powers: He is able to take control of Randall's tank and Wally's spacecraft with his mind in the climax.Randall: I can't control it!Evil: Of course you can't, you silly little man! I control them!
- Satanic Archetype: Where to begin? He is Evil incarnate, was created by the Supreme Being but pretends to be his equal, is sealed in a fortress, seeks to overthrow the Supreme Being, tries to trick Kevin into a deal…
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He turns himself into a pin cushion in the climax to resist the arrows shot at him by the Greek Soldiers.
BensonOne of Evil's stupid minions.
- Animorphism: Evil turns him into a sheepdog. He's as stupid a dog as he was a human.
- The Ditz
- Too Kinky to Torture: Relishes the thought of being transformed by Evil.
RobertAnother stupid minion.
HorsefleshA former member of the Time Bandits who betrayed them.
- Demoted to Extra: He had a big role in the script, but his lines were removed and he's just more of a background character.
- Fallen Angel: Although Evil is the most obvious Satanic Archetype in the film, it is Horseflesh who was an angel and revolted. Though technically all the Time Bandits kinda revolted, but you get the idea.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: To the Time Bandits.
- The Voiceless: He has no lines. Although in the original script, he did.
The Middle Ages
- Nice Guy: He seems to be nice to the Time Bandits until they leave."Thank you very much. Thank you very, very, very much! (beat) Awful people."
- Upper-Class Twit
- Butt Monkey: Mostly courtesy of his unspecified "problem."
Robin Hood's "Merry Men"They're just as nasty as Randall and they give money to the poor alright, but not without punching them in the face out of pure sadism. Their leader Robin Hood is way too oblivious and delusional to notice.
- Deadpan Snarker"Well, you certainly are a chatty little fellow."
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Usually portrayed as a megalomaniac who sacrificed his own daughter, he is a wise ruler and a one of the nicest characters in the film.
- Nice Guy
- Parental Substitute: He takes a paternal liking to Kevin and adopts him.
- The Reveal: See below.
- Sean Connery: In the script it said "The Greek Warrior takes off his helmet to reveal he is none other than Sean Connery, or any actor who was CAN afford." Gilliam actually meant to hire a cheaper actor of similar physical stature and only wrote that Agamemnon looked like Connery as a joke, but somehow the script found its way to Connery and he expressed an interest in doing the role.
- Throw It In: Agamemnon doing a magic trick for Kevin was Connery's idea.
- It was also Connery's idea for him to play the fireman at the end.
The QueenAgamemnon's wifenote . They have a complex relationship.
- Death Glare: Exchanges one with her husband. Considering that he has appointed Kevin his heir (though their own children do not feature here), this is perhaps not surprising.
- The Voiceless: She has no dialogue at all.
Bull Headed Warrior
NapoleonFrench conqueror who only likes short people.
- "That's what I like: Little things hitting each other."
The Time of Legends
Winston The Ogre
- Affably Evil: He's adorable, but he does want to eat Kevin and the bandits.
- Ill Boy: He's sick all the time.
- Affably Evil: Like her husband.
"Your Money Or Your Life" Host
The Supreme BeingGod himself, whom the Bandits stole the map from.
- "Return what you have stolen from me! Return the map! It'll bring you great danger! Stop now!"
- Absent-Minded Professor: His true form.
- Badass Baritone: When pursuing the Bandits.
- Deus ex Machina: A literal one at the end.