Character sheet. Much of the work here is copied from the sheet created by 8-Bit Crusader for the main quest.
Needs some Wiki Love
open/close all folders
VF- 03 "Spellcaster"
Tropes for the whole Squadron.
Lieutenant, later Lieutenant Commander Frank "Fronk" Bishop
Callsigns Warhound and Revenant: The Main Character. This is the "you" that the second person narrative refers to. Estimates put him at 26 years of age. Initially flies the F-14B Tomcat and the modified F-14D+. After being shot down over Alaska and being MIA for a time, has been given command of the Chance-Vought XF-02B Wyvern/Corsair IV for combat testing.
His father is a Marine, his mother was a Navy Witch, and he has three siblings: Rex, an Air Force Pararescue Jumper; Jake, an Army tank commander; and Jessica, a witch-in-training at the Academy, currently leaning towards flying Hornets for the Navy or Marines. Now officially serving in the Marine Corps in Japan.
Fronk is relatively level-headed, but not above any tomfoolery. He seems to have managed to avoid the "live fast, die young" mentality common among combat pilots- or at least outgrown it. He has close ties to most of Spellcaster. He is now known, much to his chagrin, as the "Eagle of Tanana" and the "Butcher of the Bering Sea".
- Ace Pilot: After his first engagement.
- Beserk Button: Do not insult Merlin, or talk down to her, or hint that she's inadequate in any way because she's not a real witch. This is guaranteed surefire way of making Frank your mortal enemy.
- Big Brother Mentor: He acts like this towards Merlin. That said, while he loves her dearly, he's not above the occasional teasing.
- Commanding Coolness: Is promoted to Lieutenant Commander after becoming an Ace Pilot.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Ice. When the story began, he and Ice disliked each other intensely, and had trouble working together. After their rescue of Katya, and seeing combat together, their relationship is noticeably warmer, and they begin to treat each other as equals.
- The Heart: Surprising everyone, even himself, it turns out that Frank is the emotional center of Spellcaster.
- Improbable Piloting Skills: Frank has these. Merlin's magic allows her to talk to machines and she said that several times the planes themselves thought that what he was doing was impossible.
- Not So Above It All: Is generally a sane man, and generally abides by military discipline, hence why he's polite to Ice while hating her guts (at the start). He's also the voice of reason keeping most of the pranks in line. That said, when an opportunity comes to dunk Ice into a pool, he doesn't hesitate to seize it.
- Rank Up: Starts the story as a Lieutenant before being promoted.
Lieutenant Junior Grade Samantha "Merlin" Wells
Frank's backseater. Merlin is a Witch who is unable to fly, but is an instinctive genius with electronic devices, and she can talk to fighters and Striker units. She has some hangups over being a Witch who can't use strikers, and she's still very much a kid, but she's dependable and totally the best RIO in the entire fleet.
- Child Soldiers: Merlin's 15, and while she's the best RIO in the fleet, she's still a young girl.
- Cursed with Awesome: She can't fly Strikers like a normal Witch, but she can generate shields, guide missiles, and power up the gun of the plane she's in. She can also talk to machines.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Thanks to magical guidance and her own skills, Merlin has been able to consistently guide missiles to targets, beyond standard ranges, and with greater success rates. On average, normal missiles have an accuracy of below 50%. Merlin's missiles have an accuracy of above 80%.
- Guy in Back: To Frank. Merlin runs the Tomcat radars.
Lieutenant Commander, later Commander Tabitha "Ice" Kazanski
Commanding Officer of VF-03, the US Navy's experiment in having Witches and pilots flying together. Ice is the cold no-nonsense By The Book CO, and has a reputation for being a cold bitch. Her relationship with Frank starts out as coldly professional: they don't like each other, but they can work together. This changes as the story goes on.
- Ancestral Weapon: Eventually switches to an M1 Garand that was her grandmother's rifle in the Martian war.
- Commanding Coolness: Ice's rank is Commander. It's doubly indicative whenever she uses her powers, such as in thread eleven when she angrily storms into the room and you note the ambient temperature dropping about thirty degrees.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Over the course of the story, Ice warms up through the power of friendship and enemy fire, so much so that when Frank is shot down and MIA, it's Ice who's helping the girls deal with it.
- ByTheBookCO: Ice became this, after a bad crash as a young Witch. Part of her character development is loosening up on the nonessentials, while remaining tight on what's important.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Frank. After their rescue of Katya, and seeing combat together, their relationship is noticeably warmer, and they begin to treat each other as equals.
- Gun Nut: A mild case by, what we've seen. (She considered the XM 14 EBR prototype to be a heretical desecration of the classic M14.)
- Rank Up: Starts as a Lieutenant Commander, before being promoted after covering Katya's defection.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: She is the Blue Oni to Slider's Red.
- Shipper on Deck: She ships Frank with Slider.
- When She Smiles: Ice is almost always seen with a serious expression on her face. Whenever she smiles, it's truly a thing of beauty.
Lieutenant Rachel "Slider" Kerner
Familiar: Boa Constrictor. XO of Spellcaster, 19 years of age. Flies F-14D and F/A-18 strikers, wields twin combat shotguns (Remingtons or Mossbergs, not sure). Slider is a bro-tier troll and a prankmeister supreme. She's also Ice's best friend and an ally to any member of Spellcaster. She's also got...something, going on with Frank. She's the most physically affectionate member of Spellcaster and the only one who has so far kissed Frank, though it was an "I'm glad your alive" kiss after being shot down.
Time will tell if anything happens.
Lieutenant Patricia "Maverick" Mitchell
Familiar: Cat. 17 years of age. Flies F-14D strikers, wields an M-16. Before her new Wing Witch
Goose joined the squadron, she and Frank were Wing Men
, and this led to a fast and strong friendship.
- Bi the Way: There have been hints of this. It's all but confirmed that Mav was sleeping with Orion, Frank's former RIO. At the same time, she also failed to pick up a hot blonde at a bar by the name of Charlie.
Lieutenant Junior Grade Nicole "Goose" Bradshaw
Familiar: Cat. 15 years of age. Flies F-14D strikers, wields an M60 GPMG. Maverick's Wing Witch
. Goose is the most junior of Spellcaster's witches, and pretty much the other squadron little sister after Merlin. Mess with her and face Slider's wrath.
- Child Soldiers: As with Merlin.
- Combat Medic: Kinda. Goose is technically a Heal Witch but she's a fighter first and hasn't been seen healing in combat.
No official rank, seeing as how she defected from the USSR. Familiar: White Bengal Tiger. Somewhere in her 20s, no exact age confirmed. Flew Soviet Strikers before defecting, currently uses F-14D strikers and wields an M240, later a modified BAR. Was Frank's Wing Witch
before the Styles twins showed up. Sanya Litvyak is her grandmother.
- Defector from Commie Land: She is rescued by Ice and Frank as their first real combat.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Ice. She and Ice may not particularly like each other very much, but she has Ice's back.
- Heroic RROD: Nearly has one after she does around the clock missions when Frank is shot down and MIA.
- Rescue Romance: Was immediately infatuated with Frank after his part in helping her defect.
Lieutenant de vaisseau/Lieutenant Junior Grade Rosalie Kent
Familiar: Cat. Granddaughter of Martian War veterans Ian Kent and Perrine Clostermann of the famed 501st Joint Fighter Wing. French naval witch who requested a transfer into Spellcaster. Flies with Rafale A Strikers. Currently no official Callsign, the Styles twins have used "Rose", though she hates this.
Lieutenants Alyssa and Clarissa Styles
Familiars: Sharks of some sort. Twin witches who fly steelwings. Currently fly an XF-02B Wyvern. Clarissa is the RIO, Alyssa is the Pilot and has an artificial leg.
Lieutenant Kimiko Sakamoto
An IJN witch on assignment to Spellcaster, and Kenji's older sister. So far, little has been seen of her in combat. Callsign and Familiar unknown.
- Identical Grandson: She's basically a red-haired version of Mio.
- Shipper on Deck: Quite enthusiastic about Merlin and Kenji. So much so that she's been giving Merlin lessons in things Japanese, like wearing a kimono, the tea ceremony, and addressing her as "little sister".
Related Military Personnel
Colonel Holly MacLeod
Commander of the Air Force contingent at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska. Flies F-15C strikers. Callsign Eagle; Familiar: Eagle. Age unconfirmed.
- Adorkable: Her interactions with Sergeant Will Wilkins and their budding relationship are so this.
- Character Development: Goes from being a bitch with a stick up her ass who hates steelwings to a much nicer person who's supportive of them. Falling in love with and marrying a Striker maintainer probably had something to do with that.
- Colonel Badass: She's a Witch and it's part of the package.
- Fan Nickname: "Colonel Bitchtits". Originally because she was one. Now more affectionate than anything.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Her XO claims she's this; she cares alot, perhaps too much, but she isn't good at expressing it, and so comes off as a bitch.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Softens considerably over the course of her miniseries.
- They Do: Eventually marries Will Wilkins and takes his name.
Admiral Richard "Tricky Dick" Nixon
Callsign: Poseidon. Commander-in-Chief U.S. Pacific Command. World War II and Martian War veteran, flew a seaplane off the USS California
in World War 2, currently flies an F-14D when he can get away from his desk.
- Amoral Attorney: Used to be this, until he decided he liked being in the Navy better.
- Badass Grandpa: He's in his sixties, but he can still handle a Tomcat.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: Calmly tells Frank that he's landing due to "some engine trouble." The engine is a shattered wreck - the only way it could be more damaged would be if someone shot it. Frank is understandably shocked. Nixon just shrugs it off.
- Crazy Awesome: He has shades of this.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: His general role and behaviour towards VF-03, who he seems to have taken under his wing.
- Soldiers at the Rear: For the most part, given that as CINCPAC he's responsible for all US forces in the Pacific, and can't really drop that to regularly play fighter pilot. He'd love to be getting in the thick of things, but he has to stay where he can see the bigger picture.
1st Lieutenant, later Captain, Dominica Rand
Callsign Hog; Familiar: Prairie dog. Age unconfirmed. Marine Corps Pilot. Flies A-10 strikers, wields a modified 7.62mm minigun.
2nd Lieutenant/Leutnant Judith Rudel
Callsign Reaper; Familiar: Weasel. Age unconfirmed, younger than Rand. Rudel is an A-10 Witch for the Luftwaffe, currently serving with the USMC in an exchange program.
Her Imperial Highness Princess Katsumi
Familiar: TBA. Imperial Japanese Princess and Witch for the Imperial Japanese Naval Air Force. Flies F-14 strikers, wields the Type 89 assault rifle.
First Lieutenant Ayumi Ogawa
Familiar: TBA. Imperial Japanese Naval Air Force Witch, Wing Witch
and bodyguard to the Princess Katsumi. Flies F-14 strikers, presumably wields the Type 89 as well.
Second Lieutenant Jessica Bishop
Callsign Octane; Familiar: Corgi. Frank's little sister has officially joined the US Marine Corps. Flies either the F/A-18 or A-10. Recently turned up in Japan with Rand and Rudel.
- Dynamic Entry: Every time she's run into Frank it has been literal. Flying tackles seem to be her standard greeting.
- Semper Fi: She joined the Marines, the only member of the family to do so. This made dad very happy.
Captain Emile BlackwellThe Captain
of the USS Saratoga
, the aircraft carrier Spellcaster belong to. Captain Blackwell is a no-nonsense officer who tries her best to be a Straight Man
and stay above the chaos, focusing on fighting her ship. One of Mack and Georgette's five daughters.
- A Mother To Her Men: Do not attempt to fuck with her pilots or witches, even if you are a Matron. She is the Captain of the USS Saratoga first and a Witch second. The kindest thing that will happen is you being escorted off her ship.
- The Captain: Hells yes.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: In contrast to Colonel Bitchtits, and the American Matron who tries to strongarm Merlin and Frank into coming back to Annapolis.
Commander Birgitte La Roux
A Navy SEAL withch first met providing security for Spellcaster and Merlin's shop while at Castle Barin, and who later pops up in Europe. Her familiar is a cat, which is ironic given that she's a Navy SEAL.
Frank's Mom and Dad.
A Navy Witch and a Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant respectively. Seen occasionally and called as often as possible.
- Badass: Frank's Dad has the Congressional Medal of Honor and was part of the 1/9 Marine Battalion, nicknamed "The Walking Dead". Mom's a Witch and this is certain, though not as explicitly as Dad.
- Happily Married: Oh, yes.
- Mom and Dad the Veterans: Both of Frank's parents were in the military, Mom as a Navy Witch and his Dad as a Marine, and both of them saw action in Vietam. In fact, they met in Nam. In combat.
- Retired Badass: When the story starts, Mom and Dad have been retired for a while now.
Rear Admiral Nicholas "Mack" Mackintosh
Retired: World War II and Martian War veteran and recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, eventual captain of the USS California
. Happily married to Georgette Lemare Mackintosh, old friends with Nixon.
- Happily Married: To Georgette.
- Heroic BSOD: Apparently developed PTSD after the war, but he doesn't show it. He was helping Merlin out with hers.
- Rescue Romance: Kicked off his relationship with Georgette by fishing her outta the Atlantic.
- Retired Badass: He's got the CMOH.
Capitaine de Corvette Georgette Lemare Mackintosh
Retired: World War II and Martian War veteran, former naval spotter witch for the French Navy who joined the 502nd Joint Strike Wing in Leningrad. Expert heal witch. Rather dedicated to her husband, old friends with Tricky Dick.
Soviet Air Force; Familiar: Tundra wolf. Recently introduced Soviet Witch who also happens to have a crush on Frank. She is apparently exceptionally powerful and her powers include stealth good enough to hide from Merlin. Originally, is now able to be found when Merlin is concentrating all her powers.
- Ax-Crazy: Very much so. Other Witches seem to have a worsening effect though.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: She's a Soviet Witch and the trusted ones are brainwashed. The crazy comes as an extra.
- Combat Sadomasochist: She tends to get excited when Frank manages to land hits on her shield. With the weapons involved if she actually got hit she'd be a red smear.
- Post Head-Pat Catatonia: Thread 61, Frank Ruffles her hair to stop her and Katherine Young from getting into a fight. The second he touches her, her brain melts down and she stumbles off in a happy daze.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: Originally only fan theory, but recent events have made it seem more likely that Stalinka has absolutely no idea what she's really implying when she says she and Frank will "Make Babies". She's also mentioned "Comrade Stork" and seems to have a general lack of understanding regarding anything that isn't killing capitalists or insulting other witches.
- Shrinking Violet: As of thread 60 we get to see Stalinka on the ground, where she blushes if Frank so much as looks at her.
- Super Soldier: Katya said she's likely a product of a "Super Witch" experiment.
- Stalkerwitha Crush: She appeared out of nowhere and declared Frank her "Love" and that she wanted to have children with him. She also managed to somehow send mail to him despite being on the opposite side in WWIII.
- Yandere: Has threatened to kill Merlin repeatedly for being a "Harlot" and taking her man.