Characters: Reaching Salvation Three
Welcome! If you're here than clearly you have come seeking tropes related with Shima and his band of merry men and women
- urgh, wait wrong story. But you get the idea either way, right...?
Many Contain Spoilers for all those not up-to-date with the most current events in Reaching Salvation. You have been warned.
open/close all folders
Shima - surname unknown
Shima is a tall, well dressed man with dark hair and matching eyes who leads a rouge fraction against the Big Five and is for Revenge due to the fact that at some point they were allies, but no longer given the fact they turned on him and betrayed him for a yet un-revealed reason
. Currently viewed as the Big Bad
of Reaching Salvation
, Shima and his fellows seem to be bidding their time for another strike on the tower
- Affably Evil: In spades.
- Bad Ass: Utterly Curb Stomped the few contestants who were stupid enough to try and take him on during his debut appearance in the Breakout Arc. Needless to say who won that little scrap.
- Big Bad
- The Chess Master: The extent of his skills are yet to be seen though he has set himself up rather nicely as one and all, given that he's Crazy-Prepared and all.
- His status as Magnificent Bastard also rests on his skills as a Chess Master, given it's the only quality he's missing/has yet to full display. Should he fall short he'll end up going back to being viewed as the Smug Snake and it can only get worse from there.
- Crazy-Prepared: See Bad Ass Bookworm for details.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dissonant Serenity
- The Dreaded: For the contestants, anyway.
- The Dragon: Conversation between Shima and his former allies during the Breakout Arc suggests that this use to be his role within the Five-Bad Band before they turned on him. Whether it was a case of You Have Outlived Your Usefulness has yet to be seen.
- Dragon Ascendant: Was possibly the former Dragon for the Five-Bad Band, though now is running his own operation of which he is obviously the head of, setting him up as current Big Bad.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Certainly has an agenda now, and has been hinted to have had part of that agenda since his days as a member of the Five-Bad Band, though whether this agenda is what got the others to turn on him, or as theorized above, it was a case of You Have Outlived Your Usefulness has yet to be revealed.
- The Starscream: Played with, whilst it's been hinted, as stated above, that he use to fill the role of The Dragon for the Big Five any plotting against them seems to have only come after they turned on him. But then again, this might have been in play before they betrayed him and in why they betrayed him.
- Expy: Of Shukuro Tsukishima from Bleach.
- For the Evulz: His Mind Rape of Tom seems to serve no other propose than It Amused Me and an ensuing case of Brain Washed And Crazy on Tom's part.
- Averted later in that he reveals his reasoning for doing it and was simply being cautious.
- Large Ham: slightly, but he's shown shades of it given his charisma and large arm gesture whilst talking. I'm waiting for the Rousing Speech that brings this into full effect, personally.
- Manipulative Bastard: Quite a subtle example, but he knows exactly what to say to get people to think how he wants them to.
- Mind Rape: Does this to Tom. Probably not the first time he's done it, either.
- Psychic Powers: A complete psychic. There's a good reason he's The Dreaded, after all.
- Smug Snake: Viewed as this during his appearance in the Breakout Arc, but given that he's shown himself to be Crazy-Prepared and his skill as a Manipulative Bastard he's moving towards Magnificent Bastard now. It just hinges on his skill as a The Chess Master
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Show shades of this.
- The Stoic: To a lesser degree that his Dragon-in-Chief Oliver, but still very much an example.
"You cannot save everyone and to try is a fools task. But you can save those that will come after you be leaving this world as the best place you can. And such a task requires sacrifices."
Oliver on the topic of Utopia
Created and played by Dobi Boshi.
Oliver is a young adult
in his early twenties, well built with electric blue hair that makes him easily noticeable in a crowd. Dragon-in-Chief
to Shima himself, Oliver oversees the daily running of Shima's base and the facilities whilst keeping the peace between those that dwell within. Given his status The Dragon
, Oliver is also trusted with the most important missions Shima has to ordered his subordinates to under take and is easily one of the most powerful characters within Reaching Salvation
He has yet to make an official appearance in Post Acer for the time being.
- Adorkable: As a kid he was this.
- Ambition Is Evil
- Arch-Nemesis: Tabaris - to know why see Break the Cutie
- Awesome, yet Impractical:
- Awesome Yet Practical:
- Bad Ass
- Break the Cutie: His back story in a nut shell: he was still just a teenager when the storm hit, though he and a few of his friends, including the his childhood crush managed to find refuge by competing in the original Acer Tournament. Sounds alright, up until the point where he and his friends were pretty much split up and all placed on opposite teams from one another, he was even forced to kill one of them himself. Was that the end of it? Hell no! The boy that had slowly become his best friend, Tabaris had to fight his girlfriend, Dakato - and Tabaris brutally and merciless slaughter her prompting Oliver to Freak Out and go into a HBSOD, before Shima got him out of the tournament before Tabaris could kill him too.
- Combo Platter Powers: Let's see:
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Destroyed everyone that went up against him - including the other contestants of the original Acer Tournament in which he competed, there was only a handful of other contestants he couldn't beat.
- Dark and Troubled Past: See Break the Cutie.
- The Dragon: For Shima until his eventual death at the hands of Nathan. Would have served in this role for Nathan, like Shima had planned and wanted, but just couldn't do it so he just up and left one day without telling anyone.
- Dragon with an Agenda
- The Starscream: Thought about playing this role to Nathan, planning to overthrow him before the boy became and adult and lead the Illuminati himself. Though in the end he deiced against it as he had grown tired of the endless fighting that his life had become, so he just left instead.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: His Flow has had some rather creepy effects on his eyes.
- Necromancer: The backbone of his Flow.
- Evil Counterpart: To Eithne, of all people. The idea was that whilst Nathan was the Generation Xerox for Shima, Oliver was meant to show what Eithne could have eventually become had he actually ended up becoming, and did sort of becoming due Shima's Mind Rape of him, had he been loyal of his own accord to Nathan.
- Expy Of Nagato.
- Five-Bad Band: Like his inspiration, he acts like a one man version:
- Freak Out: After Dakota, Pride's name when she was alive, was killed during the original Acer Tournament.
- Glass Cannon: For all his powers he's still an ordinary person.
- Kick the Dog: Had Sabina killed when she was clearly no threat to him just to prove a point.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Mr. Fanservice
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- One-Man Army
- People Puppets: The Roads to Damnation.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- The Philosopher
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "Run all you like, it won't save you."
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: On one against Tabaris.
- Seven Deadly Sins: See Combo Platter Powers
- Start of Darkness: Dakato's death was this for him.
- The Stoic: To the point of seem almost emotionless.
- Tragic Keepsake: He kept the bodies of Dakato, his childhood love and his former teamate Daimaen, to use as Pride and Wrath respectfully
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Used to be one, at any rate.
"You're in my way... move, or die."
- Nathan "English" Stanton displaying how much of a Jerk Ass
Created and played by Stabberz
Nathan Stanton is considered, by many, to be a morally bad person who isn't above using brute strength to achieve his own goals. Nathan one more than one occasions has shown himself to be one of the strongest contestants still competing in the Acer Tournament. He appears to have won the Super Power Lottery
with his Flow gift which enables him to absorb and mimic up to five other flows at any given time. In the Acer Tournament he is in the same team
as Kira and Luke, but the odds of him remaining in the tournament are low after witnessing Shima's impressive display of power. Many consider him arrogant and self centered. In the grand scheme of things that owners of the characters are split directly down the middle as to whether or not he truly is a good character. Many see him as a contender for the future Big Bad
. Has now defected to Shima.
- An Ice Person: He can manipulate ice: what does that tell you?
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Seen in most fights he takes part in, but as the plot moves on Nathan becomes darker (See Rival Turned Evil).
- Berserk Button: Attack Kira or Luke and reach the closest form of near death you'll ever feel.
- Be interesting to see what becomes his Berserk Button upon his defection.
- Can't Catch Up: Seen almost every single time that Nathan see's the adults demonstrate thier powers. To be played straight when Tom and Eithne become adults and eclipse him in terms of power.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Started after his many Curb-Stomp Battles with Luke and to be further embelished on after his training with Shima.
- Clothing Damage: Happened in near enough every major fight he's been in.
- The Corruption: The use of his Darkness Ability makes Nathan increasingly violent and ruthless.
- Curtains Match the Window: Black hair and eyes?
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Nathan vs Near enough every single person he fights.Biggest examples being when he fights Heidi and Luke.
- Discard and Draw: During the start of the Breakout Arc Nathan's flows consisted of: Telekinesis, Healing, Ice Manipulation, Flow Manipulation and Flame Manipulation. By the end of it his complete ability list is: Intuitive Aptitude, Super Speed, Ice Manipulation, Illusions and Darkness.
- Dissonant Serenity: Some digging will be needed to find the evidence of this. However when grinning and smirking at the pain he causes
- Don't Make Me Destroy You
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Evil Brit
- I reckon this is self explanatory.
- Evil Feels Good: To be evident in the near future.
- Expy: Sasuke!
- Face Framed in Shadow: Hair falling into his face whilst he smirks? Using Darkness? Standing in Dark Places? Yeah, thats what I thought.
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- Generation Xerox: Nathan - Other Acer Contestants. Shima - Adults. I'm seeing a fair few similarities.
- I Can Still Fight
- Instant Expert: Intuitive Aptitude.
- It's All About Me: This is the teen who is willing to put his own goals ahead of a timid girlfriend and a team mate who is suffering from illness.
- Jerk Ass: This trope was made for Nathan.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Started with his beat down of Luke and will ultimately culminate in his beat down of Luke and turning to the Shima's side.
- Meaningful Name: Nathan, ironically, means God's Gift. Now this could just be about his flow, but some may see him as a potential Messiah to the all but dead Human Race...If only he was good.
- Mega Manning: Nathan's Flow in a nutshell.
- Omnicidal Maniac: One possible path he could follow.
- Mr. Fanservice: See Clothing Damage for evidence of this Trope.
- Perpetual Frowner: When he smiles its either fake or sadistic.
- Playing with Fire: Subverted after he lost Luke's Ability.
- Pride: Why else do you think he fights so much?
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Luke and Eithne's Red Onis.
- Rival Turned Evil: Basically sums up him and Luke.
- Signature Move: Subverted when he lost Telekinesis.
- Much to the relief of everyone else
- Super Reflexes
- Super Speed
- Smug Snake: Thought of as this by many.
- The Stoic: In theory only.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Nathan IS this trope.
- Took a Level in Badass: The discovery of his power, the training of his power, the Discard and Draw of his power and eventually the mastering of his power at its limited stage.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: And then went on to get a Degree in Jerkass.
- Villain Protagonist: Despite the arguments. He is still a Protagonist.
- The Worf Effect: To be shown when he gets his dwarfed by Adult Power Tom and Eithne.
- Why Won't You Die?: His stamina has become near godlike with his ability to keep fighting opponent after opponent with little to no rest in between. It's in human.
Eithne McHale, when something puts his beloved coat in danger.
Created by Dobi Boshi, played by Dobi Boshi and - briefly- Stabberz
A six foot one Scottish born martial artist who is the sole remaining member of his own team of three, he left then to die to save his own hide in the early stages of the tournament before he really got to know either of them
, though nobody really knows about it due to how close to the chest he keeps the fact. He is involved in a relationship with Amelia, though they're currently having their porblam due to recent events in the Post Acer story line.
- Anchored Ship: Despite all the problems the recent revelation and distance it has put between them since it was revealed that Eithne has been Brainwashed and Crazy for the better part of five years, Amelia and Eithne are this.
- Anti-Villain: Is somewhat more concerned with his own survival than a lot of other things, and is aware that he might have do some nasty things to stay alive - and he's more than willing to do them as long as it doesn't bend his Code of Honor to much. He's a good example of what happens when you mix a Type I with a Type II - the Noble Woobie.
- All There in the Manual: The fate of his teammates and how he left them both to die is never actually mentioned in the RP; just a little fact that Dobi Boshi came up with when trying to flesh out Eithne's back story.
- The Atoner: Part of the reason he took such a shin to Simon and Heidi and tried so hard to protect them was to help try and redeem himself for leaving his teammates to die.
- Badass Longcoat: Starts wearing one in the second week.
- Berserk Button: He's got a few, but the worst is probably calling him a monster to his face.
- BFS: Uses a few through both the original and Post Acer, though the one he was currently using was destroyed when fighting Tabaris
- Big Brother Mentor: To Simon and Heidi.
- Big Brother Instinct: As above.
- Born in the Wrong Century: At least he thinks he was.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Thanks to Shima mind raping him to a mindless drone that would follow Nathan's order to the latter and protect him no matter what.
- Brave Scot
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: His and Amelia's relationship is basically this.
- Broken Ace: Let's see: excellent fighter? Check. Much more intellagent that he lets on? Check? Excessive amounts of personal and emotional baggage? Check!
- Character Development / Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Played straight when first introduced, subverted now due to development in his character that has mellowed him out a lot, leaving him just a plain old Bad Ass.
- Rectonned into Obfuscating Stupidity by Dobi Boshi after he joined in the Post Acer RP: the complete idiot he acted at first was a facade he threw up to help try and cope with the guilt and grief of what he did to his two teammates - though the tower was just to much for him and he couldn't keep it up, resulting in the cynical Jerkass we all know him as being born.
- Closer to Earth: More so than some of those around him.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Don't Make Me Destroy You
- The Dragon: Was this unknowingly against his will to Nathan.
- Fiery Redhead: When his temper gets the better of him, but for the most part he is pretty level headed.
- Friend to All Children: Whilst Eithne is a Jerk Ass and a bastard, he does have a heart of gold and generally likes little kids and refuses to do anything that would lead to harming them.
- Genre Savvy: Has his moments.
- Greed: Unlike in the traditional sense, instead of wanting money or fame, he wants friends.
- Hates Being Touched: Due to the sometimes volatile nature of his Flow and the danger it presents to others.
- Grew out of it as he got more of a handle on his power.
- Honor Before Reason
- I Can Still Fight: On more than one occasion.
- Jerkass: For the most part, but he's really a...
- Lack of Empathy: He has shown this towards certain contestants purely because he can't be bothered with them.
- Leaning on the Furniture
- Leeroy Jenkins: First meeting with Heidi.
- Martial Pacifist: Played with - whilst he fits a good part of the criteria for this Trope, he also lacks in certain areas.
- One Head Taller: With Amelia.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Nathan's Blue.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When the Trigger Shima had placed on him wore off he was pretty damn pissed off.
- Sir Swearsalot: When compared to some of the other characters.
- Took a Level in Badass
- The Worf Effect: Against Tabaris who beat him down in one hit. Justified, or at least more so that most examples as Eithne had just had a large, draining battle against Nathan and was far from at peak condition.
The Enlightened Eleven aka the Illuminatus.
Individual Character Tropes