open/close all folders
Played By: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- The Danza: Joe, as played by Joseph Gordon Levitt.
- Heroic Suicide: Kills himself to stop the cycle that would create the Rainmaker.
- Hitman with a Heart: Develops into this over time, especially with Love Redeems in play.
- Love Redeems: In stark contrast to Old Joe.
- Redemption Equals Death: Redeems himself for his past as a hitman by destroying the main threat in the future... by committing Heroic Suicide.
- Shadow Archetype: He and Old Joe ultimately become this.
- Taking You with Me: Killed himself so Old Joe will cease from existence.
Played By: Bruce Willis
- Anti-Villain: Ultimately a Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds.
- Apologetic Attacker: He cried after killing the first Rainmaker prospect.
- Badass Grandpa: Exceptionally good at combat despite the fact that he's pretty old.
- Bald of Awesome: Initially. Eventually becomes Bald of Evil.
- Big Bad: By killing Abe and charging the plot.
- Crusading Widower: His reason for his mission.
- I Hate Past Me: He has no kind words for Young Joe.
- Love Makes You Evil: The film follows his Protagonist Journey to Villain, though he didn't became "evil" per se.
- He Who Fights Monsters: By trying to stop the events of the past to save his wife, he becomes a child-murdering monster.
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: In his quest to stop the Rainmaker, he creates the Rainmaker, making him into the Big Bad by the end of the movie.
- Shadow Archetype: He and Young Joe ultimately become this.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Ultimately becomes this as he (almost) creates the Rainmaker.
- Would Hurt a Child: Would kill one, actually.
Played By: Emily Blunt
Played By: Paul Dano
Played By: Noah Segan
- Big Bad Wannabe: Blue has aspirations to be something greater, but he's far too incompetent to be taken seriously.
- Butt Monkey: Things rarely go right for Kid Blue, although it's usually his own fault.
- Determinator: Credit where credit's due; he doesn't give up, even if it's the smart thing to do.
- Establishing Character Moment: Mishandling his gun and being mocked by his co-workers establishes Blue as a notorious fuck-up.
- The Gunfighter Wannabe: Blue wants to be deadly with a gun, but has clearly been watching too many Westerns. Or maybe not enough.
- Gun Twirling: Frequently does this, even though he's shot himself in the foot before.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: He has this relationship with Abe.
Played By: Piper Perabo
Played By: Jeff Daniels
- Affably Evil: He takes a friendly tone with his men, giving them advice and cracking jokes.
- Big Bad: Right up until Old Joe kills him.
- Break Them by Talking: His preferred method of dealing with troublemakers. If that doesn't work, he breaks them with a hammer.
- Disc One Final Boss: He's killed by Old Joe before the finale.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Has this relationship with Kid Blue.
Played By: Pierce Gagnon
Played By: Garrett Dillahunt