Characters: Layton Brothers: Mystery Room
Characters from Layton Brothers: Mystery Room
. Be able to deduct that most of these are pretty much a Walking Spoiler
open/close all folders
The main protagonist and the narrator. She's a DC (detective constable) who works under Inspector Layton.
- British Accents: Her speech patterns (such as replacing "was" with "were") suggest she has a Yorkshire accent.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Declarative Finger: One of her frequent sprites is this.
- Expy: Of Luke Triton from the original Professor Layton series. They even wear similar-looking hats.
- Naïve Newcomer: She's start out at the beginning of the game as a new officer starting out as Alfendi's assistant.
- Nice Hat
- Player Character: Despite the title Layton Brothers, she's the character you actually play as.
- Plucky Girl: Lampshaded by the "other" Alfendi in case 3.
- Pungeon Master: Has a tendency to be this. This is taken Up to Eleven in Case 8 however, as it dealt with animals and many of her responses were puns about the people/environment, especially during her interrogation with the suspects.
The titular protagonist although he's more of a deuteragonist. A brilliant inspector of Scotland Yard and the son of Professor Hershel Layton
. He has another 'side' to him where his personality changes into a more threatening and criminal-obsessed one.
- Anime Hair
- Fake Memories: "Placid" Layton claims that he is the one who killed Keelan while "Potty" Layton has no memories beyond the shooting. The fake memories are courtesy of Justin Lawson.
- Exposition Fairy: He essentially serves as a guide teaching you how to play the game.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop
- Leeroy Jenkins: Averted. Alfendi is much more likely to think things over before jumping ahead, the only exception being case 9 where people's safety was at jeopardy if he didn't comply with Diane. However, the real Prof doesn't seem to be this, jumping ahead of his colleagues when Keelan Makepeace's location was first discovered, leading him to a trap .
- Jekyll & Hyde: Has another side which is more violent and even threatens to kill someone during interrgations.
- Mentor Archetype: To Lucy.
- Missing Mom: Which is the question of many fans.
- Nice Guy: Is generally level-headed and usually says things in the nicest way possible, despite some of the verbal insults some of the suspects give him. Until the other Alfendi comes out.
- The Professor: Serves as Lucy's mentor. Isn't too fond of the nick-name though.
- Tomato in the Mirror: His other rude personality is actually his original personality. The nice personality was a new personality that appeared after the incident where he was shot.
- Split Personality: Even his profile describes him as this.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: His other side often provides the key deduction that ultimately cracks the case due to it being able to think like a criminal.
The... commissioner of Scotland Yard. His name is Barton. Yes, the same Barton who was a constable and worked under Inspector Chelmey.
Deputy Commissioner Chan
The Deputy Commissioner who talked with Lucy Baker in the prologue.
- Hypocrite: Somewhat of one when it comes to superstitions.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite being incredibly discouraging to Lucy about working in the Mystery Room, he does worry about her safety. Mainly because the inspector she works under with has a split personality.
A forensics analyst. She gets sick very often and as a result, goes around in an ambulance.
A burly Scotland Yard inspector and basically the polar opposite of Inspector Layton.
- Dirty Cop
- Hardboiled Detective
- Jerk Ass With A Heart Of Gold: Despite being responsible for at least half the Jigsaw Killings, he couldn't bring himself to kill Alfendi twice despite having the chance. He is also the one who suggested to listen to Alfendi's statements.
- Treacherous Advisor: While she does this to other people as well, Lucy generally confronts Alfendi's behaviour to Justin, who at one point said that if Alfendi mentions any specific people or names, that Lucy should secretly talk to Justin about it. Turns out he is the main reason why Alfendi has his split personality in the first place.
The janitor who often picks up information about Scotland Yard during his duties.
A detective working under Justin Lawson. Apparently has a great sense of smell.
An Interpol agent working with Scotland Yard to find a murderer who stole an artifact.
- Dub Name Change: From Hilda Swanson.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Downplayed. She scolds Lucy for eavesdropping on her conversation with Alfendi despite it being quite loud, a bit bossy and was initially adamant of convicting Alfendi as the killer. However, she generally looks after Lucy, telling her Placid Prof was the fake persona and offering her comfort. By the end of case 9, she sides with Lucy on her theory about the true killer (though Hilda will begin to regret it if the player makes a mistake).
A woman found dead on her vacation at a five-star hotel. For some odd reason, her hand was found in her sandwich she ordered.
- Asshole Victim: She gets her money from her boyfriends and afterwards dump them for another man.
- Dying Clue: Supposedly left one as she was apparently a fan of crime fiction. Too bad the very existence of the dying message gave it away as a fake.
- Gold Digger: Possibly. According to the killer, they used to be an item until he ran out of money, at which point she promptly dumped him. Also, her current lover is a wealthy businessman who is paying for everything on their luxurious vacation.
- Punny Name: Sandwich.
A loser who recently won a huge sum of money.
The lead actor of a play where she was the heroine.
A world-famous archaeology professor.
A DJ who hosted a famous radio show.
- Asshole Victim: Once he found out de Bonair had been stealing profits from the radio station, he blackmailed him by having de Bonair give him money.
- Meaningful Name: Dread refers to his dreadlocks of his wig.
Anice BrewerA tea lady working at a radio station.
A mafia boss and head of the Agonni family.
Agonni's right-hand man.
Pearce 'Blood' Boyle
The Agonni family's strongman.
A new recruit of the Agonni family and served as their pretty boy.
The serial killer responsible for the Jigsaw Puzzle Killings.
Detailed more on the Suspects section.
Aldwich's lover and for business purposes, refused to tell the police his identity.
A bellboy who brought Aldwich her sandwich.
The hotel cleaner who found Aldwich's dead body.
- Red Herring: If you think that her description gives her the possible motive of killing Aldwich because of her possibly cheating on her husband, then think again.
- Team Mom: Has this relationship with her hotel employees.
Jack Potsby's wife.
- Black Widow: She had three husbands before Potsby and became rich from their life insurance. Despite that, she's apparently innocent according to the police and insurance companies. She messed up when it came to killing Potsby.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: Wears a slinky purple dress.
- Multi Coloured Hair: Her bangs are white, her side bangs are lavender and the rest of her hair is black.
- Pretty in Mink: Has a white fur coat◊.
Chase M. Downes
The muscular concierge of the apartment where Potsby lived in.
- Red Herring: Him being muscular and joining an exclusive gym has nothing to do with the case.
- Punny Name: Chase him down.
An old serial burglar.
Potsby-Mahn's new boyfriend.
- Beast Man: Looks less like a human and more like a lion standing on his hind legs. Goldie even keeps him on a leash like a pet cat!
- The Voiceless: Does speak sometimes but it's basically barking.
A famous actor partly known for his debauchery.
The supporting actor for the play.
- Karma Houdini: By the looks of the credits, she doesn't get punished for lying about hearing Blaise scream.
- Punny Name: Destiny knocks (on your door)
A stagehand of the play.
- Ascended Fanboy: Went from stagehand to an actor as seen in the credits.
- Framing the Guilty Party: Strapping knocked him out to frame him, since he genuinely thought he switched the guns. He was wrong.
- Punny Name: Break a leg. Also possibly punning a kleig lighting on a stage.
Dustin Scowers's older brother and a student of O'Logie.
- Punny Name: Dig (and) scour. Another meaning of "scour" (apart from the one used for his brother) is to "seek" or "search", and he's an archaeologist.
A hotel owner.
A young woman working as a hotel employee. Actually a fake identity used by Diane Makepeace.
A local of a village who volunteered to be a local guide for the archaeologists.
- Color Coded Emotions: He emotes through various colored masks. Red for Anger, Blue for Sadness/Nervousness, and Green for Joy/Laughter.
- Eloquent In My Native Tongue: Not only is his English is broken and peppered with Spanish words, but he is unable to read or write English as well. Justified in that he has only been learning English from Mariana for the past six months and is still learning.
- El Spanish O
- Love Martyr: He recognized Mariana's voice coming from the statue, which implies that he knew he was killing on her behalf, and not on that of a demon.
A famous singer and a guest in Dread's show.
- The Ditz
- Giftedly Bad: She sees herself as a great singer but her profile claims she's horrible.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her profile says she's able to distract from her bad singing by acting sexy onstage.
- Red Herring: Initially, not knowing much about the case, Alfendi supposes on a less-than-50%-chance she's the killer.
- Shipper on Deck: For Lucy and Alfendi, it seems.
A talent agent who became Hollerday's manager.
Mike de Bonair
The friendly director of the radio show.
- Deadpan Snarker: During his interrogation, he will make snide comments about the Metro's efficiency.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: You see his true colours during the interrogation. He doesn't even know the name of the other co-worker he tricked and killed.
- Meaningful Name: "de Bonair" equals "debonair".
- Multi Coloured Hair: Has two white bands of hair in the side.
- Smug Snake: Especially in the final part of his interrogation.
The sound technician of the radio show.
The delivery boy of a Dale Herl's Deli, a delicatessen.
- Blush Sticker: When he fanboys about the second-in-command mafia murderer and victim.
- Children Are Innocent: When Alfendi tells Lucy he is 100% certain Mistry is not the culprit, Lucy accuses him of thinking that because he's only a kid.
- Punny Name: "Utter mystery". Not like you needed to ask.
- Loony Fan: For someone who was worried about being killed by the mafia agent, he seems to be big fan of him.
The daughter of Keelan Makepeace.
The wife of Pig.
- Gold Digger: Although her profile states that she wants to claim the life insurance policy on Pig, she insists she isn't one as she wouldn't get the money Pig passed down to her. She's not a gold digger as she didn't kill her husband.
The housekeeper for Pig's mansion. She found her master dead but decided not to report it and instead stole money from his wallet.
A trader who had borrowed money from Pig and so had to meet with Pig about his debt. His true identity is Keelan Makepeace, the infamous serial killer behind the Jigsaw Puzzle Killings.
A shady jeweller who was supposed to meet with Pig about him knowing about the merchant's fraudulent practices.