Characters: Echo Chamber
open/close all folders
"I've never written anything like this before. I didn't want to be a screenwriter, I wanted to be a playwright!"The main character and creator of the vlogs.
- All Men Are Perverts
- Aw, Look! He Might Genuinely Like Her Instead Of Just Being Turned On Because She Made Zack Cry!
- Bad Boss: To Zack."If you get in front of the camera, I will stab you, I will actually stab you!"
- Butt Monkey: Episode 10 pretty much solidifies Tom as this, what with him getting yelled at by The Administrator for something Dana said.
- Fan Disservice: Him in his Batman boxers. Yeeowch.
- Freudian Excuse: His Big Little Brother overshadowing him.
- Genre Blind
- Hypocritical Humor:Tom: (to Dana) Look, if you keep assuming that someone can't do anything right, sooner or later, you're gonna be proven wrong.Zack: Yeah!Tom: God, I wish I had some duct tape right now.Zack: Why?Tom: To shut you up!
- Invoked Trope: He does this frequently.
- Loser Protagonist
- Nerd Glasses
- One of Us: Known on this very wiki as Tanzmetall
- Trademark Favorite Food: Rice with salt, apparently.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist
"[I'm going on camera] because you need me to. I mean, Tom, you're... pretty hopeless. You're really hopeless, actually. You're like a lost little puppy, and whenever someone tries to help you out, you crap on the rug and bite their baby. But, see, that's where I can come in. I can be there with the rabies shots, and the carpet cleaner... and your incompetence means that I can actually make a difference here."The producer, eventually promoted to character.
- Brutal Honesty
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Deadpan Snarker: She frequently snarks at Tom or Zack, but her jabs at Shannon really take the cake.Shannon: You just don't understand anything about love.Dana: Oh, my heart. She breaks. (makes tear outline on cheek)
- Genre Savvy
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Only Sane Man
- Surrounded by Idiots: Oh so much.
- UST: Some with Tom.
- All Men Are Perverts
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Butt Monkey
- Character Blog: His Twitter account.
- Character Development: Zack starts to growing up out of his Manchild status in 2x11. He leaves his dad's house and moves in with Gaelyn, gets a Relationship Upgrade with her and quits Echo Chamber to find a real job.
- Child Prodigy: His dad says he made heart-wrenching films at the age of nine.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Oh God..."Do you keep your dead cat in a box, too?"
- The Ditz
- The Faceless: For a while. In 2.11, you finally get a good look at him.
- Got Volunteered: By Tom, of course.
- Just Friends: Is put into the not even as a friend zone by Dana.
- Actually thinks Gaelyn was talking about fruit when she tried to invite him on a date.
- Brings an actual gun for the Chekhov's Gun episode.
- Taken Up to Eleven in "Forgotten Birthday" when Tom tells him to reverse his thoughts every time he thinks, to which he responded to by somehow talking backwards.
- Manchild: It runs in the family, apparently...
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Dana.
- Therapy Is for the Weak: But he could really use some.
"You have angered us, Mr. Pike, for the last time! Your next video will be a work of genius or we will SHUT YOU DOWN. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? End transmission."The TV Tropes Wiki admin that Tom contacts about his vlogs. And the administrator of The Other Wiki, who contacts Mark about . Or so it seemed, until the season 2 final where they are shown to be an infinite number of iterations of Administrator Prime.
- Bad Boss
- Evil Sounds Deep
- The Faceless: Until episode 2.11.
- Mysterious Employer
- Not So Different: To Zack in episode 1.10:The Administrator: "After all, we are similar..."
- Not So Stoic: He actually laughs at one of Ace's videos.
- One of Us: He literally works for TV Tropes.
- Parental Issues: He is shown... sympathizing with Zack in episode 1.10. No further explanation was given.
- In the season 2 finale it is revealed that his "father" is really Administrator Prime, and he is just an instantiation of him.
- Power Makes Your Voice Deep
- Royal "We": His speech pattern. He also expects other tropers to refer to themselves in third-person.
- Serious Business: Considers TV Tropes to be so.
- Voice of the Legion: Except during his conversation with Zack in episode 1.10.
- You Are Number Six: When we finally see their faces, they have 8-digit numbers tattooed on their foreheads which they are referred to by.
"CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? I can't believe Tom is still making his stupid little show with that... fat boy and that ugly chick!"Tom's psycho ex-fiancee.
- Attention Whore
- Buxom Is Better: Tom starts sleeping with her again because she has great boobs, as many viewers have said in the comments.
- Character Blog: It's here.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: See "Buxom Is Better".
- Informed Ability: Her acting skills. Justified as she's the only one who says so.
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend
- Really Gets Around: If Dana is to be believed.
- Small Name, Big Ego: From her blog:When will they see that their crappy little show would be so much better if I was acting in it? And writing it? And directing it?
- Stalking Is Love: Seems to believe this.
- Stalker with a Crush
Dave Wallnau, aka "Dave the Sound Guy"Zack's brother. Dave mans the boom mic behind the camera and never speaks. He thought Gaelyn's message for Zack was for him, and may have a crush on her.
- All Love Is Unrequited: If the gag at the end of Episode 2.2 bears out.
- Man Child: Even more than Zack.
- The Unfavorite: To his dad.
- Visible Boom Mic: In Episode 1.6, Zack films Dave's reflection in a window.
- The Voiceless: For all of season 1 and most of season 2. He gets to talk starting in season 2 episode 7.
Porn Girl/AlyssaOne of the interviewees for the female role, and had a brief relationship with Tom.
- Girl of the Week: Literally.Tom: But Porn Girl, this has been the best week of my life!
- Only Known by Their Nickname: In-universe only. The characters all call her Porn Girl, since they can't remember her real name. According to Terrible Interviewees Montage, it's Alyssa.
- Romantic False Lead: Well, duh.
Stephen Tonti, aka "Ace"The star of a rival series, , sponsored by The Other Wiki. Has charisma in spades and quickly starts overshadowing Echo Chamber's popularity.
- "Well, I am pretty cool. The internet doesn't lie."
- Accidental Misnaming: The only thing he's not good at is getting Tom's name right.
- The Ace
- Always Someone Better
- Dawson Casting: Decides to play his younger self in a video for his webshow."Besides, I'm still just as adorable as I was ten years ago. Maybe more in some ways."
- It's All About Me
- Jerkass: He's arguably a bigger one than Tom. He doesn't do anything outright horrible, but he has a bit of a smugness to himself. That is, until he reveals that he didn't actually hire Dana because he needed her for the show, he merely had a crush on her. That, along with the way he rubbed it in her face, solidified his position of being a bigger Jerkass than Tom.
- Meaningful Name
- The Rival
Gaelyn, aka "Blueberry"
"Nobody really pays attention to me."The camerawoman for . She has a crush on Zack, but he doesn't get it.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Becomes very jealous when she learns of Zack's feelings for Dana.
- Distaff Counterpart: For Zack.
- Just Friends: With Zack, much to her disappointment.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Naive and innocent, fittingly.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The reason Zack calls her "Blueberry".
Mark WallnauDirector of Transmedia for The Other Wiki and Zack and Dave's dad.
- Evil Old Folks
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: Mark thinks that there's no such thing as a PhD in art, and he's disappointed that Zack got one instead of "fulfilling his potential" by focusing on his cinematography career.
- Grumpy Old Man
- Knight Templar Parent: Episode 2.11 shows that Mark really does care for Zack and is trying to protect him. However, his overly strict parenting style winds up making things worse for everyone.
- My Beloved Smother
Uncle BillZack and Dave's uncle, whom they take after more than their own father. Appeared in Terrible Interviewees Montage.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: It runs in the family.
- Completely Missing the Point: He wasn't aware that it was an audition—he was just there to hang out.
- Informed Ability: His acting skills. On the other hand, it was Zack who said so...
- Man Child
ElyseAlso appeared in Terrible Interviewees Montage. She may or may not have been there for the therapy session Tom hijacked.
??? / Knife Guy / Wrench Guy / ConnorAnother terrible interviewee. He might be a serial killer. Or a civil engineer. Or a therapist. We're not sure.
- Axe Crazy: Sure looks like it.
- Knife Nut: He invokes the trope, playing with a folding knife throughout his scenes, the lampshades it with "Are you afraid of the knife?"
- No Name Given
- Serial Killer: Maybe.
- Wrench Whack
Umphrey Bridgeport aka StefanAn associate producer hired by Mr. Administrator to whip Tom and Dana into shape when their bickering affects the show. Snide and ill-tempered, he insults Tom and Dana's work, even though the episode they make while he's in charge is much worse than anything they did before he took over. Appears in Tyrant Takes the Helm. Played by Stefan Dezil. Oh, and he's a Walking Spoiler with Hidden Depths, so don't read the spoilers below unless you've seen The Stinger for his episode.
- Bad Boss/Jerkass/Scary Black Man ...but it's all an act, a role that Mr. Administrator hired him to play.
- Evil Brit ...but he turns out to be a Fake Brit.
- Evil Cripple: He walks with a cane...which he doesn't really need.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: He drops it when out of character.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Token Minority: Umphrey is the only non-white character to appear on the show so far.