Characters: Bodacious Space Pirates
open/close all folders
The main character. Marika starts off the story as a schoolgirl
who participates in her school's space yacht club and works part-time at a local Maid Cafe
. It soon turns out that she is actually the only daughter of Gonzaemon Kato, captain of the pirate ship Bentenmaru
, and therefore the only person who can take his place (legally). While she's reluctant to take on the role, she does display natural talent for the job and accepts becoming Captain of the Bentenmaru
. She also captains Odette II
as Yacht Club's President after Jenny and Linn graduate.
Tropes relating to Marika's Pirate persona
- Action Girl: Takes on "a brave passenger" aboard the Princess Apricot in a sword fight, and wins... kinda.
- Affably Evil: Tells the passengers of the Princess Apricot they won't be harmed so long as they comply with her demands.
- Badass Adorable: When they raid the Princess Apricot Hyakume says the passengers will be really happy as not only do they get to experience a pirate raid, the pirate's captain is a cute girl.
- Badass Cape: One of the many modifications Mami added made the cape on Marika's pirate uniform even more badass looking.
- Badass Longcoat
- Catch Phrase: Saa! Kaizoku no jikan da! (It's time for some piracy!)
- Combat Pragmatist: When she loses her duel against Kane she uses a hidden gun to just shoot him instead.
- Cool Hat: de rigueur for a pirate captain, specifically it's a Bicorne.
- Evil Is Hammy: Especially her big speeches during the raid on the Princess Apricot. Chiaki even comments that Marika seems to be getting really into it.
- When she herself poses as Marika in ep. 10, though, she arguably hams it up even more.
- Evil Laugh: In episode 6... well she gives it a a go at least.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Thanks to Mami's modifications
Introduced as just the New Transfer Student
to Marika's class, Chiaki turns out to be aware of Marika's parentage, and display similar skills in piloting a space ship. It is later revealed that she's actually the daughter of the captain of the pirate ship Barbarossa
Helmsman aboard the Bentenmaru
, and Marika's substitute teacher.
- Ace Pilot: He's as skilled as he is handsome.
- Badass: He doesn't get to show it off much, but he's pretty handy with his weapon of choice: a massive Hand Cannon.
- Bishōnen: In his role as a teacher, he teaches a few dozen teenage girls, several of whom notice how pretty he is.
- In Episode 19, after they've learned his identity, several of them demand he teach them how to pilot dinghies. Very loudly and insistently.
- Hand Cannon: He carries a massive revolver that can punch fist-sized holes through an android.
- Twin Switch: Performs one with his younger twin brother Shane near the end of the series.
- Undercover as Lovers: He and Misa pose as a married couple as part of their cover identities at Hakuoh Academy.
The medic aboard the Bentenmaru
's weapons officer, a hulking, demonic cyborg
. Not a Gentle Giant
by any means, but much nicer than one might expect from his appearance.
- The Big Guy: Literally and metaphorically.
- Caped Mecha: Cyborg, technically, but apart from that he's got the aesthetic down pat.
- Chest Blaster: Six of 'em, and they're implied to be only part of an extensive suite of built-in weaponry.
- Face of a Thug: Actually looks outright demonic, though when he talks he's fairly polite and soft spoken. He's also shy about being seen by people he doesn't know unless he's working.
- He looked much more humanoid in the novels, not unlike the Ironbeard, actually.
- Horned Humanoid: It may be a helmet but he's never seen with it off.
- The Quiet One: While he does speak occasionally, he doesn't talk much at all.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Well, he is a nine-foot-tall cyborg. Also the Bentenmaru's weapons officer, and commander of Bentenmaru's marines.
Electronic Warfare officer.
Navigator and Seer.
Engineer, Damage Control.
Marika's friend and co-worker from the Maid Cafe
. The only named character who has never been into space.
President of the Hakuoh Academy Space Yacht Club — and, therefore, captain of the Odette II
until her graduation. Lynn's lover.
- The Captain: Acts in this role for the Odette II's cruise. While she doesn't seem to share Marika's tactical talent, she appears a natural at the crew management aspect.
- Club President
- Damsel in Distress: In episode 17 it's revealed she's being forced into an Arranged Marriage by her uncle, and Lynn wants to hire the Bentenmaru to rescue her.
- Damsel out of Distress: The rescue attempt is rendered moot when she takes a chance to escape by shooting her way to an electronic warfare/recon fighter with a pistol she had hidden under her wedding dress.
- Lipstick Lesbian
- Ojou: Heir to the Dolittle Space Shipping conglomerate.
- Precision F-Strike/Sophisticated as Hell: Her response to Lightning 11's demand for the Odette II's immediate surrender was "Bakame!" which is roughly equivalent to saying "You stupid son of a bitch!" in English, Crunchyroll subtitled it as "Nuts!". Either way it's not language you'd normally hear from an Ojou
- Put on a Bus: Jenny has graduated from Hakuoh Academy by Sailing 12. (But she comes back during the Hakuoh Pirates arc.)
- Schoolgirl Lesbian: Before her graduation, though revealed only after. In love with Lynn Lambretta.
- School Idol
- Silk Hiding Steel: A pistol to be precise and the silk was her wedding dress. It's a visual metaphor for her personality.
Vice-president of the Space Yacht Club. A troublemaker and skilled hacker. She is also Jenny's lover.
: Ai Kayano
(Japanese), Margaret McDonald (English)
A new member of the Space Yacht Club and a rookie pilot.
- Ace Pilot: Effortlessly dodges gunfire from Jenny's Evil Uncle ships.
- In episode 20 she dodges out of danger easily when one of the other girls loses control of her yacht in the simulator... which Kane had set to replicate the "great red spot" on Jupiter which is home to the strongest winds in the solar system.
- In episode 21, after her dinghy's electronics have been knocked out, Ai has no navigation systems. What does she do? Open the hatch and proceed to stellar navigate by sight, without even a sextant.
- Badass Adorable: When she's in at the helm, she's like a moefied Wash.
- Dude Magnet: During the Space Yacht Club's raid on the Princess Apricot out of all the girls, she is the only one being hit on.
- Nice Hat
- Shrinking Violet: Appears as this at first, but is slowly starting to come out of her shell.
Hakuoh Academy Space Yacht Club
A club at Hakuoh Academy which Marika is a part of. Its activities include dinghy simulations and practice cruises on its training vessel, the Odette II
. Its members have been involved in the Bentenmaru
's affairs a few times after learning of Marika's pirate heritage.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: The hoodies the members wear are colour-coded to their school year, cycling between pink, green and blue. Gruier and Grunhilde have black ones.
- Idiot Hair: Ursula has this.
- Put on a Bus: The members who graduated towards the end of the Golden Ghost Ship arc.
- Back for the Finale: Talvikki and Flora return in the final episode with Jenny to help fly the Odette II while the rest of the club returns home for exams.
Princess Gruier Serenity
A princess who stows away on the Bentenmaru
Gruier's younger sister.
Yotof Sif Sideux
Voiced by: Atsushi Ono (Japanese), David Wald (English)
The Grand Chamberlain of the Serenity Privy Council.
- Badass Grandpa: In the manga, he has a brief fight with Schnitzer and easily holds his own.
- Really 700 Years Old: Not quite so much, but he is quite a bit older than he looks, and he looks to be in his eighties. Explained in the novel by him being a genetically engineered, extremely long-live "Methuselah".
- Spell My Name with an "S": His last name is alternately spelled "Sydow".
A commander in the Serenity royal bodyguards.
Marika's mother, and a former Space Pirate
- Action Mom
- Iron Chef: Can cook really well.
- Lethal Chef: When she was a pirate. Misa recalls her food and gets shivers from the memories.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She doesn't seem to impede the decisions Marika makes throughout the series, and in fact is rather supportive of her goals.
- Red Baron: "Blaster" Ririka.
- Retired Badass: When the show begins, she's working as an air traffic controller, having retired a long time ago from piracy. In the Grand Cross arc, she joins Ironbeard's crew, and proves she still has her old skills.
- Supreme Chef: To the point that her cooking is a regular subject of the series' Food Porn moments.
- In episode 13, Misa mentions that when she first came on board, she was a Lethal Chef.
An agent from the Bentenmaru's insurance company, the Harold Lloyd Insurance Union.
- Funny Afro
- Jive Turkey: In the dub.
- Large Ham
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Marika was afraid to talk to the insurance agent at first due to Ririka's tale of Ham-to-Ham Combat she did with him. Turns out Show replaced that guy a few years earlier, and understood that the previous guy's method of doing things wasn't always the best. He actually does quite a bit to help Marika out during the series, whether its providing information, or pulling strings to let her pirate with a "back up" crew when the main crew is sick and quarantined.
Chiaki's father and captain of the pirate ship Barbarossa
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: In episode 25, Marika has the chef transmit a message to the other pirate ships regarding where the final fight is going to take place. The song playing in the background is the pirate song, with an extra addition of girls singing a bit off-key. Kenjo, upon hearing it, tells one of his crew mates to broadcast it across the entire ship. Chiaki is then shown hiding under the covers of her bed, and a short cutaway scene shows her and Marika recording the song being broadcasted. Marika, on the other hand, smiles proudly and seems to enjoy the song.
- Not to mention that he tells Marika that she is Chiaki's favorite pirate.
- The Lancer: He seems to serve as one for Marika during the Grand Cross arc, as he's something like her second in command as far as the fleet is concerned.
- Large Ham
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Like Ririka towards Marika, he gives Chiaki a surprising amount of freedom. A large part of it is mostly to ensure Marika's safety, but he also has no qualms with letting Chiaki fill in for Marika while the latter searches for the ghost ship with Gruier.
Voiced by: Eizou Shuda (Japanese)
Jenny's uncle and the head of Hugh and Dolittle Interstellar Transportation.
Ironbeard/ Gonzaemon Kato
A mysterious pirate registered with the Galactic Empire and the captain of the Parabellum
- Badass Cape
- Cool Mask
- Faking the Dead: In the anime.
- Large Ham: Has a penchant for making dramatic entrances; his first appearance is standing ontop of his ship, dramatic wind blowing his cape behind him (it's actually a projected hologram) and adding sound effects to weapons fire. He also steals Quartz's thunder right out from her when she's making her big speech to the pirates.
- Narrator All Along
Voiced by: Yuko Sanpei
(Japanese), Genevieve Simmons (English)
The captain of the experimental ship Grand Cross
, the culprit behind the pirate hunting incidents
Old Man/Legendary Chef
A famous Chinese chef whose restaurant served as a meeting point and base for the Sea of Morningstar original pirates. His sons (two of whom we've seen in the series) are running a chain of restaurants around Tau Ceti space which serves as a pirates' secret communication network.
- Cool Old Guy
- Supreme Chef: His shaved ice (recipe of which is preserved by his sons) is apparently a dessert to die for and is famous even in the Galactic Empire.
- When his eldest son prepares it in the episode 25, he mentions that the sauce alone is matured for 500 years.
Some of the other pirate captains and crews who hold Letters of Marque from the War of Independence like the Bentenmaru.
- Meaningful Name: Witherspoon, the captain of the El Santo. He seems to get through quite a lot of them.
- Ninja: Master Dragon and the Shangri-La crew.
A criminal hacker and scammer whom Marika faces several times during the novels.
A frontier pirate captain (the non-privateer sort) and a high-ranking executive of a Pirate Guild.