What The Simpsons
or the Griffins
are to Americans, the Mézgas are to Hungarians.
This Hungarian animated show, produced by Pannonia Film Studio
, revolves around the life of a Dysfunctional Family
: Bumbling Dad
Géza, his bossy wife Paula, their ditzy
daugher Kriszta and genius son Aladár, along with their pets Blöki the dog and Maffia the cat. Rounding out the cast is their Deadpan Snarker
neighbour Máris, and, in the first series, their 30th century descendant MZ/X.
Three series have been produced, in 1968-69, 1974 and 1978, respectively, with vastly different plotlines. In the first series, Üzenet a jövőből: A Mézga család különös kalandjai
(Message from the Future: The Strange Adventures of the Mézga Family
), Aladár contats MZ/X on his radio. Once an Episode
, Géza and Aladár are given various tasks by Paula, and try to resolve them by asking help from their future relative. Hilarity Ensues
. In the second series, Mézga Aladár különös kalandjai
(The Strange Adventures of Aladár Mézga
), Aladár builds a spaceship and visits various Planets of Hats
, accompanied by Blöki
. In the third and final series, Vakáción a Mézga család
(The Mézgas on a Vacation
), the Mézgas and Máris go to Australia
to meet Paula's former fiancée, the Con Artist
Pisti Hufnágel, and the family ends up on a World Tour
Created mainly for adult audiences, the show was very popular in Hungary for its witty plot and unique, surreal humour. It has been dubbed to German, Slovakian, Czech and Italian.
This show provides examples of:
- A Boy and His X: Aladár and Blöki, especially in the second series.
- Animal Jingoism: Between Blöki the dog and Maffia the cat.
- Bumbling Dad: Géza.
- Canine Companion: Blöki, to Aladár.
- Child Prodigy / Teen Genius: Aladár starts as 12 in the first series, and appears to be somewhat older in the second.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Despite being a major character in the second series, Blöki does not appear in the third.
- Deadpan Snarker: Neighbour Máris. Aladár also has his moments.
- Demoted to Extra: Géza, Paula and Kriszta in the second series, which stars Aladár and Blöki.
- The Ditz: Kriszta.
- Embarrassing First Name: Máris's first name is only revealed in the final episode of the third series. It is Ottokár.
- Female Feline, Male Mutt: Maffia and Blöki.
- Girlish Pigtails: Kriszta, in all three series.
- The Ghost: Pisti Hufnágel. Beginning as a Running Gag in the first series, Paula often wishes she'd married him instead of Géza; in the third series he bets a more prominent role, as he kicks off the plot by inviting the family to Australia.
- Henpecked Husband: Géza is often ordered around by Paula.
- Lean and Mean: Máris, to an extent. While not exactly evil, he despises his neighbours, and he easily betrays them in the third series.
- Nuclear Family: The Mézgas. Dad, mum, daughter, son, dog and cat.
- Only Sane Man: Aladár.
- Planet of Hats: All the planets Aladár visits in the second series are themed around something.
- Starfish Aliens: The family gets attacked by two of these in the space picnic episode.
- Talking Animal: Blöki in the second series.
- Time Travel: In one episode, MZ/X sends the Mézgas back to the Middle Ages.
- World Tour: The third series.
- Youthful Freckles: Kriszta.
- Zeerust: The 30th century MZ/X lives in.