Animation: Malek Khorshid
Malek Khorshid (The Sun King in English) is a 1975 animated film by Ali Akbar Sadeghi. Based loosely on a tale from The Shahnameh, it follows a wealthy king who has everything a man could possibly want, except for love. One day, while exploring his palace, he discovers a painting of a beautiful woman with a blue rose, and becomes smitten. He goes on a journey in search of her, following where the blue roses take him...You can watch the animation here.
This work contains examples of:
- All Just a Dream
- Audible Gleam
- Badass: The king grabs a lion by the mane, hits it on the head, and then rides it like a horse.
- Big Ball of Violence
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Cobweb Jungle
- Cool Horse: And a Cool Lion.
- Cool Sword: It drips water.
- Damsel in Distress
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry
- Luminescent Blush
- Made of Iron: The king gets pounded into the ground like a nail, by a giant, and comes out of it no worse for the wear.
- Made of Plasticine: ...The giant, on the other hand, shatters like glass when hit with one of his clubs.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Our Giants Are Bigger
- Painting the Medium: The king shouts, and uses his speech bubble to climb out of a hole. Soon after, he flips the frame back to show someone the woman of his dreams.
- Rescue Romance
- Silence Is Golden: There is no spoken dialogue, aside from a couple bits of laughter, and a giant crying in rage.
- Sparkling Stream of Tears