- Awesome Music: The show's soundtrack makes surprisingly excellent use of dream pop, indie rock, and even doo-wop, adding to the anachronistic atmosphere.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: All the Adults Are Useless or abusive pricks, the shows attitude is borderline nihilistic, and even Alyssa can be incredibly hard to like at times due to her dirty mouth and her and Jamess horrible behavior. Fortunately, the two leads are sympathetic enough to root for and their Character Development is endearing to watch.
- Jerkass Woobie: Because of all the horrible shit they've had to deal with growing up, both James and Alyssa are pretty mentally and emotionally disturbed, and are pretty unpleasant people as a result. At least, before Character Development starts setting in.
- One-Scene Wonder:
- Emil, the security guard who nearly arrests Alyssa. He's large, intimidating, and serious... but, when Alyssa does the right thing when it would've been very easy to save herself instead, he softens up ever-so-slightly and lets her go. As one of the only truly competent, decent adults in the series, you're left wishing he was in more than one episode.
- Frodo, the gas station clerk. Thanks to his awesomely absurd name, utter hatred of his job, and temporary kinship with the lead characters, he leaves quite an impact.
YMMV / The End of the F***ing World