- Audience-Alienating Premise: A Spyro RPG with a mostly dark tone? Not hard to see why this game has been mostly forgotten and got largely poor reviews and sales.
- Base-Breaking Character: Bandit. You either like or hate him for "taking" Ember away from Spyro, mostly depending on how you feel about the SpyroXEmber pairing.
- Complete Monster: The Sorcerer is a purple dragon who believes that he is a "true dragon", claiming that the other dragons are not true dragons. Prior to the events of the game, the Sorcerer corrupts Red with his magic, and orders him to place life draining Dark Gems across the realms to poison the life of the world. After Red's defeat, the Sorcerer creates 3 Shadow Amplifier Machines to pull everyone, including children, to the shadow realm so he can drain them of their magic, which involves torturing and killing them. When Bianca tries to stop him, the Sorcerer easily defeats her and orders Red to use her as bait for Spyro so he can kill him. When Spyro finally confronts the Sorcerer, he offers to make Spyro his apprentice, only for him to reject him anyways, deeming him too small and weak, before attempting to kill him for interfering his plans. A cruel, dark being who believes himself to be superior to the other dragons, the Sorcerer serves as one of Spyro's darkest foes.
- Die for Our Ship: Bandit gets this treatment from Spyro/Ember fans.
- Fanon Discontinuity: Aside from those who ignore the game as a whole, due to the game not being made by Insomniac, or general dislike of the game regardless of that fact, Bandit doesn't exist. Even people who dislike Ember usually don't bring him up when Ember's crush on Spyro is brought up. It helps that, being on the DS and generally being an underpopular game in the series, most people aren't aware Bandit exists in the first place.
- Strangled by the Red String: Bandit immediately falls in love with Ember when he meets her and has Spyro deliver a love letter to her. When Ember gets the letter, she immediately drops her crush on Spyro and falls for Bandit, even though the two of them barely spoke to each other and would not interact again for the rest of the game.
YMMV / Spyro: Shadow Legacy