- Broken Base: Is this episode a South Park classic, or too mean-spirited for it's own good? Some fans call it their favorite episode, while others hate it, both for the exact same reasons, most notably for Cartman's Moral Event Horizon.
- Crosses the Line Twice: Thom York declaring "He has cancer! In his ass!" shouldn't be funny, but it is. The rest of the band getting visibly teary-eyed in response only makes it funnier.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The Tenorman family photo shows Scott scowling at his dad. You know what happens next.
- Harsher in Hindsight: It's later revealed that Mr. Tenorman is Eric's father, meaning Cartman killed and cooked his own father, then fed him to his own half-brother.
- Idiot Plot: Let's be honest, the only reason Cartman's revenge plan worked is because the Tenormans failed to make any logical decisions.
- If Mr. and Mrs. Tenorman had tried to get in touch with Mr. Denkins and find out what's going on—or called someone involved with animal welfare and ask them to investigate—instead of sneaking onto the ranch to steal it themselves, they wouldn't have been shot and killed.
- Scott manages to shit the bed twice. First, he failed to notice that the pony is at the carnival (despite Cartman telling him to stand by the pony) and that his parents didn't come home from the ranch. Second, he fails to suspect that Cartman's chili would be tainted somehow. The second one really stands out since Scott put "the pubes of every kid in town" into the chili he was going to feed Cartman, yet it didn't even cross Scott's mind that Cartman might do something similar to his chili.
- It Was His Sled: Everyone knows what Cartman's final revenge plan is nowadays.
- Jerkass Woobie: Scott is definitely a jerk and becomes an insane villain after this, but the guy was tricked into eating his parents and Cartman had his favorite band call him a crybaby for it.
- Moral Event Horizon: Cartman killing and feeding Scott his parents marked the point where he went from spoiled, obnoxious Jerkass to full-blown Villain Protagonist.
- Rooting for the Empire: After the shit Scott pulled on Cartman throughout the episode, most people watching wanted him to suffer.
- What an Idiot!: The Tenormans all qualify, for the action noted in Idiot Plot.
YMMV / South Park S5E4 "Scott Tenorman Must Die"