- Awesome Music: The cover of "American Girl" the film opens up with, Ricki and the Flash's original song "Cold One" and the performance at the end.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Julie gets lots of love from fans. As do the rest of the guys in Ricki's band. They get minimal lines but play their instruments very well.
- Funny Moments:
Adam: I was just born gay.Ricki: Well I was born Ricki.
- The awkward family dinner is full of them. It's a true Dysfunction Junction, with all of the children exchanging barbs at each other. Adam tells the waiter to keep the martinis coming, Julie is still in her pyjamas and Emily clearly looks as if she'd rather be anywhere else. Then Adam reveals he's gay and accuses Ricki of being homophobic.
Julie: Mom, I don't want to hear about your steel wool.
- Ricki gets in a good one when taking Julie to get her hair done. She warns her about her First Gray Hair, and says she won't find it on her head.
Maureen: I'm gonna let you have that one.
- After Maureen gives Ricki the "Reason You Suck" Speech, Ricki can only fire back with "Pete's still in love with me."
Ricki: It lives forever. I saw it on 60 Minutes.Julie: That's disgusting.
- Ricki's attempts at reassuring Julie that her heart isn't dead - by comparing it to a Big Mac that just sits there and never changes. Pete gets Sidetracked by the Analogy.
- Just Here for Godzilla: Some just watch it for the music or to see Meryl Streep playing guitar.
- Narm Charm: The Dance Party Ending is predictable, but still lovely to watch.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Minor example. But since Maureen is played by a Broadway powerhouse, they cold have shown her to be a singer as well to further emphasise her as a Foil to Ricki. It also would have been really nice to have Audra McDonald and Meryl Streep singing a duet at the wedding.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: A few people found the daughter-in-law Emily to be this, given her initial reaction to Ricki performing at her wedding. While she does have a reason to be shocked, she comes across as snobby and rude.
YMMV / Ricki and the Flash