- Award Snub:
Clint Eastwood: We got Hobbitized.
- Many feel the film version was robbed of the Best Picture Oscar by The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Many believe The Return of the King won Best Picture because the previous two installments had also been nominated but had lost.
- A lot of people felt that Kevin Bacon deserved more recognition (especially an Oscar nod) for his role but was overlooked because this is a film packed with heavy hitters putting in some of their best work ever.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Laurence Fishburne's casting as Whitey Powers became even funnier when it was revealed that he'd been cast as Perry White in Man of Steel.
- Jerkass Woobie: Jimmy.
- Moral Event Horizon:
- The one that forms both the plot and shapes the characters as adults is Dave's molestation by two pedophiles who posed as cops.
- Though there's a lot of grey morality at play and regret over the action, Jimmy's murder of Dave is this. At the end of the day it's a self-serving half cocked revenge ploy that they refuses to take responsibility for. Annabeth's complicity in covering it up is similarly self serving, dismissing an unjust murder just for their own piece of mind.
- The Woobie: Dave and then some.
- Brendan. He's lost both his girlfriend and brother by the end of the story.
YMMV / Mystic River