- Cliché Storm: Averted.
- The werewolf isn't some Tragic Monster, but a flat out serial killer and rapist who is well aware of what he's doing.
- As poor Cassie learned, being a virgin will not save you, and she is one of the first to be killed; indeed, all four disposable characters are killed off early on, leaving the focus on Derek and Sam.
- There's also Derek and Sam defying the Bittersweet Ending by Sam promising to be there for him; the fact that werewolves can retain their human minds helps.
- Complete Monster: Mitch Toblat is a werewolf who can retain his mind and talk, but he is also a vicious, sadistic sociopath. At the start of the film, Mitch kills Derek Crowley's father in front of Derek's uncle Charlie, before marrying Derek's mother and emotionally abusing Derek for years. When Derek and his friends decide to go on a trip to Mitch's personal cabin, Mitch interrupts their fun as a werewolf by killing all but Derek and his Love Interest Samantha; in said massacre, he rapes and kills a virgin in front of her boyfriend, taunts said boyfriend, and fatally castrates him. Later, he blames Derek for bringing his friends to the cabin in the first place. When Derek, Sam and Charlie are investigating Mitch and looking for DNA evidence, he catches Sam in his room and forces her to perform oral sex on him. When he discovers they were investigating him, Mitch abducts, tortures and kills Charlie, telling him it's his own fault for not minding his business. After that, he abducts Sam and takes her to his cabin, intending to lure Derek to him. The plan is sidetracked when another group of teenagers come to investigate the previous massacre, but he kills them as well and rapes a girl in their group. He then attempts to kill Derek and Sam in a fight, and just before he is killed, he bites Derek so that the latter will be cursed.
- Crosses the Line Twice: A lot of Mitch's lines as a werewolf.
- Esoteric Happy Ending: Possibly inverted. Derek is bitten, but in this movie, werewolves can retain their minds. Plus Sam promises to stick by Derek no matter what.
- Moral Event Horizon: Mitch, as a werewolf, killing the boys, raping one of the girls, and castrating her boyfriend. And that's only the beginning.
- Narm: The werewolf's howls sound a lot like an angry bull.
- Narm Charm: The fact that the werewolf talks. And like a wisecracking slasher movie villain.
- Nightmare Fuel: The werewolf retains his human mind, so he is fully aware of what he's doing and enjoys it.
- In his first rampage, we see him rape and kill a virginal girl before killing her boyfriend. Oh, and he does the latter by castrating the boyfriend and even shows his mangled genitals to him.
- In the climax, when the werewolf is killing another group of teenagers, while Derek and Sam and another teenager are hiding, the werewolf tells them he's got a little blonde to entertain. All they can do is sit there and listen to him rape a girl and kill her, again.
- Mitch in his human form. He's actually a pretty realistic sociopath.
- The scene where he orally rapes Sam.
- When Mitch tortures and kills Charlie, starting as a human then transforming into a werewolf.
- Tear Jerker:
- When the werewolf kills Derek's father in the opening and Charlie finds his body.
- When Mitch forces Sam to blow him and the effect it has on her relationship with Derek. The Squicked out look on her face afterward doesn't help.
YMMV / Big Bad Wolf