Big Bad Wolf is a 2006 horror film starring Trevor Duke, Kimberly Brown, Richard Tyson, Sarah Aldrich, and Christopher Shyer.
The film focuses on teenagers Derek Crowley and Samantha Marche, who go with four other teenagers to spend the weekend at a cabin owned by Derek's abusive stepfather, Mitch Toblat. Not one night into their trip, they are attacked by a werewolf, who kills the other four while Sam and Derek manage to escape.
Afterwards, Derek and Sam try to find out the truth about the werewolf, who they suspect is Mitch. With the help of Derek's uncle Charlie, who survived an encounter with the werewolf years ago, they seek out to expose the truth.
The film was rated R for gore, violence, swearing, sex, and nudity.
This film provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Mitch is Derek's abusive stepfather.
- Ax-Crazy: Mitch both as a human and a werewolf.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: Derek is bitten by Mitch just before the ending.
- Asshole Victim: The frat boys and their girlfriends are a downplayed example. While they were dicks, the werewolf went way too far when he killed them, especially Cassie.
- Berserk Button: Sam doesn't like being called Samantha.
- Big Bad: Mitch.
- Bittersweet Ending: Mitch has been killed, but manages to bite Derek just before he dies. Sam does say Derek won't have to go through it alone. May be an Averted trope, considering that werewolves in this movie still retain their human minds.
- Black Comedy Rape: Played for drama, actually:
- Part of Werewolf!Mitch's Establishing Character Moment is raping a girl before killing her.
- Mitch forcing Sam to perform oral sex on him to collect a DNA sample puts a strain on her friendship with Derek.
- Cool Uncle: Uncle Charlie.
- Death by Sex: Jason and Melissa get killed by Mitch shortly after having sex in the woods.
- Domestic Abuse: When he's not busy raping, torturing and killing people in the most horrifying way possible, Mitch is also extremely harsh and violent to both Gwen and Derek.
- Evil Has a Bad Sense of Humor: Does it ever. Freddy Krueger would be proud.
- Evil Is Hammy: Werewolf!Mitch does not believe in subtlety.
- Evil Sounds Deep: And is oddly talkative for, you know, a werewolf.
- Genre Blind: The teenage amateur reporters actually go to the cabin where teenagers were reported killed just to get an inside scoop.
- Gorn: So very much.
- Goth: Sam.
- Jerkass: In addition to being a merciless werewolf who loves to kill people for fun, Mitch is also a massive prick to everybody who treats both Derek and Gwen in an especially harsh manner.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Subverted. Mitch is a pure evil monster both as a human and as a werewolf since he can retain his original mind. On the other hand, for unexplained reasons, he's more hammy and cruelly extravagant as a werewolf while he's a more cold-blooded sociopath as a human.
- Laughably Evil: For some reasons, Mitch is this while is in his wolf form. Ironically he's much more menacing when he's human.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Before marrying Gwen, Mitch killed Derek's father.
- Never My Fault:
- Mitch places the blame of the teenagers' deaths on Derek for leading them to the cabin in the first place.
- When he kills Charlie, Mitch tells him that it's his own fault for not minding his business.
- Post-Rape Taunt: After Cassie is raped and murdered.Alex: You animal! She was a virgin!Mitch Werewolf: Well she ain't anymore.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: The werewolf in this movie retains his human mind and can even talk. Also, a transformation can be triggered by anger, stress, and arousal.
- Red Herring: Averted. Derek and Sam guess correctly that Mitch is the werewolf.
- Running Gag: A group of teenagers, acting as a news crew, trying to get a scoop on the massacre.
- Sadist: Mitch, especially as a werewolf.
- Shout-Out: Mitch's last name, Toblat, is clearly a play on "Talbot", the original Wolf Man.
- The Sociopath: Mitch in his human form.
- Technical Virgin: Cassie gives Alex a blowjob and it's not the first time she's done it.
- Took a Level in Badass: Derek in the climax. Lampshaded when Mitch says he put up a bigger fight then he expected.
- Wolf Man: Mitch retains a humanoid appearance in his werewolf form.
- Would You Like to Hear How They Died?: Mitch while battling Derek says to him that killing his father was like "leading a lamb to slaughter."
- You Killed My Father: Mitch killed Derek's father before he married his mother.