WaniKani is a Kanji learning website. Using a spaced repetition system and some wacky mnemonics, it aims to teach 1700 Kanji in as little as a few years. It also supports an API.
This Web site contains examples of:
- Animorphism: You're becoming a narwhal.
- Arc Villain: Charlie Sheen appears in many kanji descriptions as a strange villain of this sort.
- Bad Santa-san: You'd better start studying!
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Stop looking at those horse butts, the farmer will get upset.
- Buffy Speak: As a Japanese language learning site, this was inevitable (the language itself is listed under the trope's Real Life examples).
- Crapsaccharine World: Sure! Bamboo heaven seems like a nice place...
- Disproportionate Retribution: A great leader borrowed something of yours and didn't return it? Lock him in a shack and torture him.
- Earn Your Title: Sect Titles. Members start in 'Sect Guppies', move onto 'Sect Turtles' with a subscription, and can be awarded (or punished) with an alternative sect name by the admin (usually relating somewhat to the member's achievements or forum presence).
- Extreme Omnisexual: Maybe if you spent less time looking at animal and plant butts, your son wouldn't be a moose!
- Freemium: The first two levels are free to use, content up to level 50 requires a subscription.
- Horny Vikings: The viking helmet has horns "at least according to television".
- I Am Not Your Father: Koichi is!
- Makes Just as Much Sense in Context: Many mnemonics are intentionally absurd.
- Mascot: The eponymous Crabigator.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: 'Wani' and 'kani' are Japanese for 'alligator' and 'crab' respectively.
- Self-Insert Fic: Any Kanji with the reading 'こう' is bound to involve Koichi, one of the site's creators.
- Shoddy Knockoff Product: Why aren't you playing with your new Atara?