This webcomic provides examples of:
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Although there are a few standard Petting Zoo People such as Wolf the wolf and Crocuta and Nweka the hyenas, Westly is a vampire and Ki-rin is a Qui-lin. Whiskers is a non-anthropomorphic cat, but she suspiciously has two tails.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: Westly - though apparently he does not know his type, which could adjust his position on the Sliding Scale of Vampire Friendliness. If they did know his type, they would save on their company insurance policy.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Wolf's just got an apron on.
- Meaningful Name: Wolf and Ki-rin are both named after their respective species. 'Crocuta' is the genus and species name of the spotted hyena. The name of the coffee shop, Sacred Grounds, is also meaningful, in that it is a metaphysical bookstore (Sacred) and they sell coffee (Grounds).
- Must Have Caffeine: This Guy, Angry Coffee Man of no name
- Noodle Incident: Wolf reminds Westly about a certain incident, which quickly gets him (Westly) out of bed.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Westly is of a type that can turn to mist, run (but not stop) at super speed, and must be invited into a home. This isn't true for all vampires of the world. Westly's 'type' is unknown.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Westly, who usually has bright green eyes, shows his red eyes when talking about being grouchy if he doesn't get his morning 'fix' while indicating his fangs. Could be considered "Uh-Oh" Eyes as they appeared when he was talking about blood, possibly meaning he's feeling his Horror Hunger.
- Vampires Are Rich: Subverted - Have you SEEN Westly's apartment? He has a couch with mysterious stains, propped up by books and patched in odd places. Also, it's green, which matches the stained and scary orange carpet..