After her girlfriend becomes the latest victim in a string of unexplained deaths on her university campus, Peridot seeks out the help of famous exorcist Rose Quartz, believing the cause to be supernatural, only to find that Rose herself has died - though that doesn't mean she isn't any less willing to help.
Kowai Beach City provides examples of:
- Adaptation Species Change: The Gems are aliens in canon. Here, depending on the character, they are either humans or Yokai:
- Peridot and Lapis are humans, and Steven is fully human instead of a hybrid.
- Pearl is a kuchisake-Onna (a woman with a slit mouth who will either maim or murder you depending on how you react), Amethyst is a futakuchi-onna (a woman with a mouth in the back of her head), and Garnet is a Tenome (her eyes are in her hands instead of on her face).
- Rose was a human, then died and came back as a spirit after giving birth to Steven.
- Death by Childbirth: Rose Quartz was an exorcist before she died giving birth to Steven. Unlike in canon, she still exists, just as a disembodied spirit that only Greg, Steven, and other yokai can see.
- Expecting Someone Taller: Peridot manages to get a hold of Steven while looking for Rose Quartz, and gets caught off guard when she finds out that he's just a 13-year-old boy.
- Stuffed into the Fridge: The plot starts when Lapis is found dead, spurring Peridot into an investigation attempt to find out how and why.
- Tempting Fate: Pearl, Rose, and Amethyst talk about the possible danger of Steven going to meet some stranger from the internet, to which Rose declares that her sixth sense allows her to tell when Steven is hurt or in danger. Cue Garnet walking in and flatly stating that Steven got hurt.Rose: I have a sixth sense about Steven. As his mother, I can always sense when he's in danger or hurt!Garnet: We're back. Steven got hurt.Steven: I just slipped on ice!