A YouTube channel and part of the larger Good Mythical Morning universe, hosted by cook and food writer Josh Scherer, professional chef Nicole Enayati (nee Hendizadeh), and culinary assistants Vianai Austin, Trevor Evarts, and Lily Cousins. Beginning as a kind of "Behind The Scenes" channel for the various weird food creations featured on Good Mythical Morning, Mythical Kitchen took on a life of its own thanks to the chaotic mad genius of its host Josh. See the channel here.
Comedian and GMM writer Emily Fleming occasionally joins Josh when he makes episodes about historic foods. She often dresses period-appropriately and acts in a wacky character type.
Josh and Nicole also host A Hot Dog is a Sandwich, a weekly podcast delving into food culture.
Current segments on the channel include:
- Myth Munchers: Where Josh and the crew test folk wisdom about preparation and technique for popular dishes to determine which, if any, are actually effective.
- Meals of History: Where Josh tries to recreate meals from past eras while Emily cosplays and provides comic relief.
- Last Meals With...: Where Josh interviews a celebrity, discussing their views on life and mortality, while sharing their idealized final meal.
- Fancy Fast Food: Where Josh takes a fast food favorite and creates the most luxuriant and expensive version of it possible.
Former segments include:
- Past Food: Where Josh attempts to resurrect a discontinued menu item from a fast food or chain restaurant.
- Mythical Kitchen Recipes: Where Josh recreates some of his weirder creations for GMM.
- Snack Smash: Where Josh and the crew take two very different snack foods and attempt to mash them together into a new snack creation...with varied successes.
Mythical Kitchen provides examples of:
- The Anti-Nihilist: Josh has expressed his belief that life is hard and pointless, and people should just do what makes them happy. His disdain of haute cuisine comes from his belief that food is meant to be enjoyed and to bring people together, not to be treated as a status symbol or used as another way to divide people.
- Butt-Monkey: Trevor usually gets the short end of the stick when things go off the rails.
- Classically-Trained Extra: Josh is the only member of the main crew with no formal culinary training. Nicole in particular is a classically-trained chef. Lily, the most-recent addition to the on-camera crew, is the only one with actual restaurant experience.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: All the chefs are a tad loopy, but Josh in particular has a tendency to go off on strange tangents at breakneck speed that barely have anything to do with what he's currently doing and constantly manages to distract himself.
- Emily comes off as this sometimes when she's adopting characteristics from a different time period.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: The dishes from Mythical Kitchen are equal parts gross and inspired. Many of them work even though they shouldn't.
- The Lad-ette: Tough-as-nails Vi can hold her own against Josh even at his most Bro-tastic.
- Large Ham: Josh.
- Emily, the only person more chaotic than Josh.
- Like Brother and Sister: Josh and Nicole have this dynamic, jokingly picking at each other and clearly having a great time.
- Mad Artist: Josh's creations often straddle the line between genius and insanity.
- Motor Mouth: Josh's typical delivery is rapid and dense, so much so that he sometimes loses track of what he's talking about.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Josh is a buff former college athlete with a lot of stereotypical Bro traits who loves the culinary arts. He has spoken about discovering his love of cooking at a relatively late age and reconciling that with his previous attitudes about "girly" pastimes.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Josh claims to be trying to start a feud with Gordon Ramsay. It's not clear to what extent Gordon Ramsay even knows who he is.
- Technician Versus Performer: Nicole's extensive formal training versus Josh's pure love of food and cooking.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Lampshaded by Emily during the "Pirate Feast" episode, where she adopts a vaguely British/Australian accent she calls a "Standard HBO Fantasy Accent."