Several decades ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV of Brutal Doom fame (or infamy, depending on who you ask) played a game named NAM. It wasn't very good (even for the time), but the young Brazilian was intrigued by the idea of an old-school FPS in a pixilated jungle and considered make a Doom mod set during The Vietnam War. Fast-forward to 2019, an untold number of hours sunk into Rising Storm 2: Vietnam has rekindled his desire to make such a mod.
As the name would suggest, VietDoom is a total-conversion Doom mod set during the Vietnam War (1968 and onward, to be precise) and puts you in the boots of an alternate Doomguy doing things a US trooper during that conflict would be doing: Ambushing convoys, rescuing POWs and downed pilots, incinerating NVA and Viet-Cong with a well-coordinated napalm strike, that sort of thing.
VietDoom provides examples of the following tropes:
- Foregone Conclusion: The US loses the Vietnam War.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Eating C-rations and drinking from canteens can restore health. If Doomguy's hunger and thirst are above 70%, he can regenerate health.
- Limited Loadout: By Doom standards, anyway. Doomguy can only carry four weapons besides his knife, some grenades and a LAW (Slot 5): A pistol (Slot 1); a rifle (Slot 2); a submachine gun, shotgun or grenade launcher (Slot 3); and a heavy weapon (Slot 4). Pre-existing weapons will need to be discarded if new weapons are needed.
- Regenerating Health: Only if Doomguy's hunger and thirst are above 70%. Even then, it's slow.
- The Legions of Hell: Demons will start showing up in Chapter 3.
- Wizard Needs Food Badly: Hunger and thirst will need to be managed.