Several decades ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV of Brutal Doom fame (or infamy, depending on who you ask) played a game named NAM. It wasn't very good (even for the time), but the young Brazilian was intrigued by the idea of an old-school FPS in a pixilated jungle and considered make a Doom mod set during The Vietnam War. Fast-forward to 2019, an untold number of hours sunk into Rising Storm 2: Vietnam has rekindled his desire to make such a mod.
As the name would suggest, VietDoom is a total-conversion Doom mod set during the Vietnam War (1968 and onward, to be precise) and puts you in the boots of an alternate Doomguy doing things a US trooper during that conflict would be doing: Ambushing convoys, rescuing POWs and downed pilots, incinerating NVA and Viet-Cong with a well-coordinated napalm strike, that sort of thing.
VietDoom provides examples of the following tropes:
- Enemy Mine: The U.S. marine barracks has a U.S. flag, a Confederate flag, and a Black Power flag hanging on the walls, suggesting this.
- Foregone Conclusion: The US loses the Vietnam War.
- Game Mod: A heavily modified total conversion of Doom (designed for modern 3D accelerated source ports), heavily inspired by Nam. Sounds and some environmental assets are taken from Nam, while many character sprites are heavily modified Doom sprites.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Eating C-rations and drinking from canteens can restore health. If Doomguy's hunger and thirst are above 70%, he can regenerate health.
- Limited Loadout: By Doom standards, anyway. Doomguy can only carry four weapons besides his knife, some grenades and a LAW (Slot 5): A pistol (Slot 1); a rifle (Slot 2); a submachine gun, shotgun or grenade launcher (Slot 3); and a heavy weapon (Slot 4). Pre-existing weapons will need to be discarded if new weapons are needed.
- Regenerating Health: Only if Doomguy's hunger and thirst are above 70%. Even then, it's slow.
- The Legions of Hell: Demons will start showing up in Chapter 3.
- Wizard Needs Food Badly: Hunger and thirst will need to be managed.