Like in any Digging Game, the goal is to get gems and then reach the exit. The main character is a dragon, who aims to collect the biggest hoard ever, and who can breathe fire to scorch adjacent squares. The obstacles are grouped in an elemental theme. Unusual for a digging game, Sub Terra also includes elements from Chip's Challenge, ZZT, and Laser Light.
The game is available on Steam.
Contains tropes such as:
- Block Puzzle: earth blocks contain gems, fire blocks can explode, water (ice) blocks keep moving once pushed, and air blocks can be moved in multiples at once.
- Control Room Puzzle: Several switches affect distant parts of the level; in some of them you are locked in a control room and have to solve the puzzle indirectly.
- Elemental Powers: most objects come in four flavors, i.e. fire, water, air, and earth.
- One-Hit Point Wonder: Touching or being adjacent to an enemy will kill you instantly.
- Selective Gravity: Rocks and gems fall, most other things don't. This is common to the Digging Game genre.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The general theme of the fire element, which includes bombs, crates of dynamite, and Extreme Omnivore fire elementals.
- Timed Mission: optionally, every level can be played on a time limit to earn extra stars on the world map.