Of course, the other players can both destroy the towers they placed, and shoot each other down, which instantly destroys all the towers they've placed up to this point. Each player can use the Experience Points they gain from shooting each other down and from controlling territory via towers to upgrade their stats (or their towers' stats), and eventually unlock powers as well.
The game ends when one player controls 80+% of the territory and managed to shoot down everyone else. Teams mode has the same objective. Defuse mode has two teams and is separated into rounds, which can be won by either one team completely defeating the other, or planting/defusing the bomb.
Tropes present in Defly.io:
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: The score players had at their time of their death (or occasionally victory) is converted into a few coins that can be used to buy skins for your helicopter.
- Bottomless Magazines: No player will ever run out of ammo.
- Deadly Walls: Crashing into the walls between another player's towers is instant kill.
- Deflector Shields: There's a Shield power for your helicopter, though it simply absorbs one shot before fading away. The towers' shields will render them completely invulnerable for a while, but can only be kept up for a limited amount of time.
- Doppelgänger Attack: There's a Clone power that does exactly that. Notably, the Clone has its separate health as it moves opposite the player, and if the player gets killed regardless, they'll not respawn while the clone is still around.
- More Dakka: Rapid fire is available through maxing out the Reload Speed stat.
- One Hitpoint Wonder: It only takes one shot to bring a helicopter down. Activating Shield superpower lets you survive one shot at the expense of the shield.
- Towers can also be destroyed with just a single shot if Tower Health stat is at 0. However, it is increased by 1 with every two points invested into the stat: Tower Health 1 is still just as fragile, Tower Health 2 takes 2 shots, Tower Health 6 takes 4, etc. In short, you should never have this stat raised to an odd number, as that simply wastes a point.
- Pinball Projectile: Shots fired at the walls between another player's towers will simply bounce off.
- RPG Elements: Each helicopter can gain up to 32 levels, and invest points into upgrading Player Speed, Bullet Speed, Bullet Range, Reload Speed, Build Distance, Tower Shield and Tower Health up to 8 times. Thus, most players prefer to max out four of these stats, and leave the other half untouched.
- Spread Shot: In Defuse, one of the available helicopter types attacks in this manner.
- Teleport Spam: Teleport is one of the upgrade superpowers you can obtain.