The goal is to complete various contraptions by sliding tiles with gears or pipes into place using as little time and few moves as possible. It also contains challenge mode, which has speed trials and levels with limited moves.
This game provides examples of:
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Some of the levels involve balloons that can only be inflated by the same color of steam.
- Creative Closing Credits: The final puzzle in the game includes a screen that will play the credits once the level is completed.
- 15 Puzzle: This puzzle forms the basis of the game, although the goal is to complete gear chains and connect pipes rather than to get the tiles in a specific order. The shape and size is also different in some levels.
- Gameplay Grading: In every level in inventor mode, there are multiple categories (speed, and moves used) in which the player can be awarded bronze, silver, or gold medal.
- Pipe Maze: You create these in some levels.
- Steampunk / Clock Punk
- Those Magnificent Flying Machines: Some of the contraptions completed in the levels.
- Timed Mission: One of the categories in challenge mode is a time trial, where you have to complete the level in 30 seconds.
- You also have to complete the normal inventor mode levels within a set time limit to earn the speed medals.