"Nohzdyve" is a game created by Netflix and the creators of Black Mirror as a tie-in to the film Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. In the film, it is a game created by the character Colin Ritman and, depending on which ending to the film you get, may or may not have been publicly released.
It's a very simple 8-bit game released as freeware for the ZX Spectrum. In 2018. Initially only found as an Easter Egg through recording and playing an audio file in one of the alternate endings through a ZX Spectrum to produce a QR code, the existence was quickly spread on the internet.
You must jump off a psychedelic balcony and enter nosedive as you collect eyeballs and avoid obstacles.
Tropes in Nohzdyve
- Ambidextrous Sprite: The player figure is one of these, in a banana-shape falling position that switches depending on your vague direction.
- Call-Back: Its name is a reference to the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive". Its content, however, is reference to an optional scene in the film Bandersnatch.
- Cut-and-Paste Environments: The laundry hanging and air conditioning units, they're in a variety of patterns and colours, but eventually repeat again. Note: eventually, there was clearly some effort to make them different.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The eyeballs you've got to catch look like sperm.
- Easter Egg: Was originally only accessible through getting a certain ending in a choose-your-own-path film, recording a sound tone in this ending, playing that on a ZX Spectrum able to load a QR code, going to this code, and downloading the game to play on ZX Spectrum.
- Endless Running Game: An endless falling game, where you avoid chattering teeth and catch eyeballs between townhouse buildings.
- Game-Breaking Bug: If you score over 99999, it resets to 0. And will then freeze.