Native of Philadelphia, moved to Miami in 1997. I've lived in Japan previously and am currently working on moving back there. I'm one of those interesting Hispanic Asianophiles that sees connections that probably aren't there between English, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese. The name is a reference both to the The Lion King and Final Fantasy VIII, and my initials actually are OJ (don't ask why I put them in the name, long story).
I'm a gamer at heart, but as part of trying to keep my ear for Japanese up until I move back there, I've taken to watching a lot of anime in the past year of varying genres, so I have a pretty eclectic list of tropes I keep a watch of. Current favorites include Fate Stay Night (I'm all about the Tohsaka, but Saber's awesome too, and Unlimited Blade Works is one of my favorite stories anywhere), Code Geass, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Toradora, Suzumiya Haruhi, Ore Imo and the Shinichiro Watanabe anime. I'm quickly developing a love of Studio Shaft anime after watching SZS, and Gainax, J.C. Staff and Kyo Ani are my other favorite studios (and not just because I lived in Kyoto!). Despite some doubts to the contrary, I don't consider myself a weeaboo because I have a healthy enough respect for languages to keep them separate, and I'm nowhere near as obsessive as a lot of my Japanese classmates were. That said, I also acknowledge I have a greater than average love for all things Asian, so I generally assume other Americans won't be interested in talking about anime or Japan.
As far as games, I play just about every genre outside of sports and sim games, but the ones that seem to be popping up most often lately are FPS's and RPG s. Since the last time I looked at this page, I still play World Of Warcraft and force myself to play Final Fantasy XIV strictly out of Fan Boy loyalty, but I don't spend a huge amount of time on either. As far as single player games, The Witcher has been occupying a lot of my free time lately.
Yes, I know I have a problem with run-on sentences and parantheticals, but I hate making explanations too short and then having to edit them later with more information. I'm also fully aware that no one is likely to read this, but sometimes it's fun and stress relieving to write about yourself.
- Butt-Monkey - Certainly seems like that sometimes, due to...
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' - I lead a straight life because this trope seems to follow me around in Real Life. I do know how to let loose, but I don't do anything to get in trouble or trouble others, which for whatever reason doesn't leave a lot of overlap.
- Funny Afro - My hair made me a minor celebrity in and around Ritsumeikan University.
- Knight in Shining Armor - This is always my first choice of character class in any game when it's available.
- Only in Florida / Only in Miami - This is 100% true, unfortunately.
- Puerto Rican- I'm not from there unlike the rest of my family, and in fact my Spanish isn't all that good. Regardless, I love the Island and my family there, and generally my visits there are the high point of the year. I certainly do NOT fit the Puerto Rican stereotype for the most part, I'm a soft spoken, intelligent person who has views on the nation-state system of international politics that conflict with what a lot of Puerto Ricans believe, but I've never been ashamed of my heritage.
- Shrinking Violet - This doesn't seem...quite right describing a guy, but if so I probably fit under this. As a Puerto Rican I tend to be naturally loud and boisterous at times though, and even I have trouble predicting which comes out.
- Tsundere - My favorite character type in Anime, probably because my real life relationships have tended to be with these sorts of people.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Vocabulary - Certainly, I've found myself using odd words since I started reading this site a year or two ago, but so far I've been able to catch myself on it.