- Actor Allusion: Sonia is very familiar with people at the hospital, which seems to be a nod to Ada Maris's role in the sitcom Nurses.
- Adored by the Network: Nickelodeon constantly ran previews for the show and it was often shown in double bills in the UK.
- The Cast Show Off: Vaneza Pitynski sings in the Mysteries of the Maya movie.
- Follow the Leader: Nickelodeon produced Taina immediately after picking this one up. There are notably many similarities between Taina and Lorena's characters too.
- Genre Turning Point: Before this sitcom, you didn't see Latino protagonists in English speaking shows. This was in fact the first English-speaking sitcom to focus on a Latino family. The success of this undoubtedly lead to The George Lopez Show, Wizards of Waverly Place, Taina, The Ortegas etc.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Never released on DVD but the series has been uploaded to Youtube.
- Playing Against Type: Carlos Lacamara tended to get cast as waiters, valets and bartenders. Ray Garcia by contrast is an educated college professor.
- Playing Gertrude: Minor example. Larry is the younger twin, but Alvin Alvarez is a year older than Vaneza Pitynski. Obviously because Teens Are Short, he passes for the youngest.
- Separated-at-Birth Casting: Alvin Alvarez, Bobby Gonzales and Jerry Licon all look as if they could be brothers.
- Those Two Actors: Carlos Lacamara and Ada Maris also starred together in the sitcom Nurses.
- Unintentional Period Piece: Downplayed but there are a few traits that date this to the early 2000s. VHS and cassette tapes are still used, the TV is analog, the teens use the house's landline rather than cell phones and Larry's video camera is quite blocky. An episode features George getting to interview Solange Knowles around the time of her debut album (2002). Larry is a fan of pro wrestling, which was still just about mainstream in the early 2000s. More superficially Carlos's Spiky Hair is very much the early 2000s fashion. Lorenna freely references the pop stars of the day - Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, Macie Gray and Mandy Moore. Likewise the video game technology contains Bland Name Products of the Playstation 2 and the Game Boy - and an episode has George fantasizing about a Lara Croft Expy at the height of her presence in pop culture. Overall, despite being made in the 2000s, the Wonder Years-esque narration makes it come across as That Nostalgia Show of the time period.
- Write What You Know: Show developer Jeff Valdez based the sitcom on his own experiences growing up.
- You Look Familiar: Lupe Ontiveros appeared in the pilot episode playing the star of Lorenna's novella. She later appeared as Abuelita in further episodes.
Trivia / The Brothers Garcia