- Creator Backlash: Ira Behr has called this episode a failure, though it's still second to the one he considers the worst.
- Creator Killer: The producers blamed the episode's failure largely on Alexander Siddig's decision to direct the episode more as a drama than a comedy, and barred him from directing any more episodes of Star Trek. To date, Siddig has never worked again as a television director.
- Genre-Killer: By the producers' own admission, the critical excoriation the episode received basically killed off DS9's sub-genre of the Ferengi episode, which had previously produced about as many good episodes as it had stinkers.
- Old Shame: Armin Shimerman has gone on record saying he hated this story, especially since Quark learns nothing from it.
- Troubled Production: The official book on the making of the series notes the issues with this episode, mostly stemming from how the writers meant it as a typical Ferengi farce but Alexander Siddig directed it more as a "message" drama. The contrasting styles took its toll on the actors with most everyone involved admitting they knew this was going to end up being one of the most hated episodes of the series.
Trivia / Star Trek: Deep Space Nine S06 E23 "Profit and Lace"