- Approval of God: Amy Lee of Evanescence, author of the song the fic is titled after and the source of much inspiration for Tara's "goffikness", has said in interview she read the story and was left in tears laughing at all the nonsense.
- Creator Breakdown: The spelling mistakes get more frequent and more blatant as the story goes on. This could be because she threatens to slit her wrists every time someone flames her story.
- Cut Short: The fic abruptly ends on chapter 44, and nobody ever finds out how it ended.
- Defictionalization: There are a few active Facebook accounts for the characters. Have fun.
- Fan Nickname: Well, "fan" is stretching it, but due to the constantly-changing names and spellings for some characters, the Harry Potter fandom has seemed to come to a consensus on what to call each character.
- The main character is referred to as Enobynote , as opposed to her many other names. Sometimes also as Tara.
- Malfoy is sometimes called Donnie Drako.
- Voldemort's preferred(mis)spelling is Vloxemort and his alter ego, rather than be Tom Riddle, is Tom Bombadil.
- Dumbledore's preferred misspelling is Dumblydore.note
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: The original version was deleted when Fanfiction.net started deleting rule-breaking content (it was also on Adult-Fanfiction.org, but when the admins of the website realized they had the story, they deleted it and Gilesbie's account and put her in the Hall of Shame/do not return to our website list), but it lives on, either from being reposted or by being hosted on mirror sites.
- Unintentional Period Piece:
- Regardless of whether or not it's a parody, the story's fixation on the Goth and Emo subcultures, as well as the various other media that it references (A Cinderella Story, House of Wax (2005), the Resident Evil films, and suchlike) make it pretty clear that it's a product of the mid-to-late 2000s.
- The story's music references, being primarily Emo and pop, are also firmly rooted in the mid 2000s. Ebony's favorite bands include Evanescence, Good Charlotte, and My Chemical Romance, and even attends a concert for the latter at one point. Meanwhile, Britney Spears and Avril Lavigne are treated with contempt for being "preppy" and "poser" music, respectively. There's also a reference to Hilary Duff dating Joel Madden, who broke up near the end of 2006.
- Since this is, at least ostensibly, a Harry Potter fanfic, it's noteworthy that Tara's author's notes reference the then-upcoming releases of the seventh book and the fifth movie. Also, note the singular when she says that Voldemort didn't have a nose "in the movie." At the time of writing, Goblet of Fire was the only released Potter film in which Voldemort had sported the noseless look.
- The Wiki Rule: Yes, it has one, with over 100 pages. The wiki pretends to claim that it is the greatest fanfic ever written.
- Some university professors agree, describing it as a "viciously intelligent" satire. An article on My Immortal in Vulture examines these claims in more depth. It gets more love from this article in The Atlantic Wire about the live-action web series.
- It's also infamous enough to have its own Wikipedia page.
- Parody Retcon: If the person who claimed to be the author is who they say they are, either it is a Troll Fic, or the author is too embarrassed to admit they were a bad writer. They claimed it was a Troll Fic.
- Word of God: Authors' notes pop up in most chapters, mostly to criticize reviewers as "preps" and excuse her spelling problems and mischaracterization. One note in Chapter 6 reveals that Dumbledore's swearing is the result of him having a headache.
Trivia / My Immortal