Love O2O (微微一笑很倾城, Wēi Wēi Yī Xiào Hěn Qīng Chéng, roughly "A Smile is Very Beautiful") is a 2016 Chinese series starring Yang Yang and Zheng Shuang. It's based on the novel of the same name by Gu Man.
Bei Wei Wei is a computer science student at Qing University. She's also the only female player to get into the Top 10 ranking of the online RPG A Chinese Ghost Story. When the game's best player suggests their characters get married, she accepts without knowing who the other player is. He's really Xiao Nai, the most popular student in the university.
The series is one of the most-watched in China. It's available on YouTube with English subtitles. The source novel has also been adapted into a 2016 film, which shares a title with the series.
Contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: A Funny Background Event in the second episode shows a character mistakenly calling Meng Yiran "Meng Haoran" (the name of a Chinese poet).
- Action Girl: Wei Wei's character in the game literally exists to fight monsters and go on quests. Hilariously averted with Er Xi's character, who falls flat on her face the first time she tries to fight.
- Bare Your Midriff: Er Xi's character wears an outfit that leaves her midriff exposed. Some background characters in the game wear similar outfits.
- Blunt Metaphors Trauma: Yu Ban Shan mangles almost every idiom he tries to use.Bei Wei Wei: Stir the deaf and enlighten the blind? If Old Man Yu's old Chinese teachers could hear him use idioms like this, I wonder if they would cry!
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Er Xi has her moments. It even carries over to her character in the game.
- Genki Girl: Er Xi. Waves her arms? Check. Drags Wei Wei around? Check. Talks quickly? Check.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Almost every male character in the game has very long hair, and many of them are pretty. Especially Xiao Nai's character.
- Love Before First Sight: A variant. Wei Wei and Xiao Nai met in person before they fell in love through their online interactions, but they only learn who they are after falling in love.
- Mistaken Identity: In the game, Cao Guang befriends Er Xi when he mistakes her for Wei Wei.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Played for laughs; Zhao Er Xi sheepishly admits she dropped Wei Wei's computer while wheeling her chair towards the door.