Rock, Paper, Anything is a Play-by-Post Game hosted on the Minecraft Forums. The game is Exactly What It Says on the Tin: you can name anything, as long as you describe how it beats the previous object. However, over time, a small subplot was created, involving multiple universes and a reset button. The plot is not the main focus of the game though, so anyone can join without looking too much in the thread.
The game can be found here.
Rock, Paper, Anything contains examples of:
- Apocalypse How: When in doubt, players often use nukes, trans-dimensional rifts, and concepts in and of themselves. This often causes Class X-4 Universal Destruction.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Downplayed, then subverted. The game started from silly to having a small subplot, but then a Reset Button is used, and the universe shenanigans is completely ignored thereafter.
- Running Gag:
- Tombstone(the battlebot, not the gravestone) being used, before being promptly destroyed by a mine. This is subverted the fourth time though, with water being used to erode it instead.
- Also, there's a player using the oh-so-basic rock, paper, or scissors for everything.
- Serial Escalation: Zigzagged; usually, there will be a stream of increasingly complicated objects...which is countered by an absolutely mundane object, and the cycle starts anew.
- Tank Goodness: An M4 Sherman was used to counter an ant, which is quickly dispatched by a Challenger Battle Tank.
- When All You Have is a Hammer : There's a player that uses the basic rock, paper, or scissors for everything. Another player has also taken a liking to using the Extra-Universal Traveler.