Reaching Despair is a Tumblr roleplay based on Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and taking elements from the old ff.net roleplay Reaching Salvation. It began its first game on June 21, 2015, with a roster of twenty students.
Tropes in general for Reaching Despair
- After the End: shows the students the world is Acerbus this now, congratulating them for "sleeping through the apocalypse." How true this is remains to be seen.
- Izumi confirms it in chapter four.
- Apocalypse How: Class 3a.
- A House Divided
- Amateur Sleuth: All of the students.
- Anyone Can Die: Anyone, even the mastermind.
- Career-Ending Injury: Interestingly, the character standing up to/attacking the headmaster is ' 'not'' killed! Not that this is much better - Kriska Wells, SHSL Mechanic, gets her arm broken and smashed beyond repair when she attacks Acerbus. Worse still, it was her dominant arm, hence the trope.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: It's a Danganronpa fangame, this much is a given.
- Kangaroo Court
- Mystery of the Week: There's a new murder every two weeks.
- Running Gag: Anything involving chairs. For a short while, Toshiro Ito's image on the roster page was a chair, all of the OOC chats have chairs as their chat image, at least two people died from getting hit by chairs, and there was an entire room filled with chairs in the first game.
- Timed Mission: Investigations and trials both have only a set amount of time to be completed, but trials may end early if everyone votes before the time limit.
- You Wake Up in a Room: The students wake up in a lounge, sitting at a round table with their own custom chair and no memory of how they got there.