Deus Ex Mechanicus Reboot is a sci-fi Quest set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.
It is the dawn of the 42nd millenium. The Imperium of man remains pressed on all sides by armies of traitors, heretics and xenos. Though the losses suffered during the 13th Black Crusade has left hundreds of sectors sapped of vital military power, and the Night of a Thousand Rebellions has sent it reeling, it continues to fight unabated, throwing tens of thousands of men into the grinder to die for the Emperor on a daily basis.
The ones who ensure that the Imperium retains the arsenal it needs to hold the darkness at bay are the Adeptus Mechanicus, the cult of the Machine. With their near monopoly on advanced technologies, their faith in the Machine God and the sheer industrial strength of their Forge Worlds, they produce nearly every weapon wielded by Imperial military organizations, be they the Imperial Guard, the Sisters of Battle, the Space Marines, or the Imperial Navy.
You are a member of the Mechanicus. Raised to believe in the gospel of the machine and taught the secrets of technology from a young age, you rose through the ranks of this theocratic-technocracy, eventually reaching the rank of Magos. For such were your achievements in the Search For Knowledge.
However, you would never have expected the task that has been handed to you now. A new Forge World is to be made, or at least the foundations of one. A new world for the Mechanicus, to expand its power, increase the production of the Imperium, and further the Machine Cults never-ending quest for knowledge. You have been chosen to establish and lead it.
Run by Arankor on Spacebattles, this quest takes place in the 42nd millennium's first centuries. The quest is played from the perspective of Akadia Lethe, a recently ascended Archmagos with the mission to build the foundations of a new Forge World on a planet of the Karatus Sector called Callamus.
Things kind of escalate from that point on.
The first thread began on September 27th, 2014 and can be found here. After the thread exceeded SpaceBattles.com page limit, the second thread was founded here. Unfortunately, there have been no updates to the story since 2017.
Deus Ex Mechanicus Reboot contains examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: A mysterious box was found by Nona on an Explorator mission. What they found inside when they opened it was a genuine Man of Iron from the Dark Age of Technology. The intelligence rapidly took control of the Forge City where it was opened, exponentially increasing its industrial and military power in the span of days. Multiple armies were necessary in order to put down the rogue intelligence, including the resident Space Marine chapter, an order of the Sisters of Battle, and several Titan Legions.
- Artificial Intelligence: Akadia found a benevolent one during certain expedition. Due to the fact that AI are considered the archenemy of the Mechanicus cult, Akadia has maintained his existence a secret.
- BFS: When Akadia was given the rank of Fabricator-General, she was given the Gift of Mars - a power sword two metres long and 20 centimetres wide - as a symbol of her new position. She later went on to wield it during the Battle of Karatus where she personally slew a Chaos Space Marine Champion with it.
- Cool Starship: The Trafalgar, an experimental Dark Age warship.
- Fisher King: In the beginning of the story Akadia was rather small as a result of suffering from severe malnutrition as a child, and the world under her command was also in a bad state. Several decades later and both she and Callamus have grown in stature, figuratively and literally.
- Insufferable Genius: Lataminus is without peer in the field of lastech, but he is quite possibly the rudest and most abrasive human in the entire galaxy.
- Off the Chart: Lataminus' diplomacy is ranked F-EX where the worst possible rating on the scale is F.
- Prehensile Hair: Just one of the many modifications that Akadia does to her body through the years.
- Rags to Riches: From a struggling street urchin to Fabricator-General of one of the greatest Forge Worlds in the Imperium. Later becoming a High Lord of Terra.
- Shoot the Messenger: Abaddon played this trope straight when he read about how little the Men of Iron actually managed to hurt Callamus.
- Super Prototype: The Nova laser prototype used during the battle against the Chaos fleet is more powerful than the final model. Justified since it was pure luck that the weapon didn't explode after the first shot, the final model tends more towards stability than raw power.
- Truly Single Parent: Prior to her elevation to Fabricator-General, Akadia procreated by creating several clones of herself. Five hundred, to be exact.