PlotIn the season eight finale, Sheldon's relationship with Amy drastically changes as he pressures Leonard and Penny to set a date for their wedding. When the pair decides on a quick elopement, Leonard reveals a secret from his time at the North Sea that could threaten their nuptials.
- Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder: Leonard confesses that while he was in the North Sea, he kissed one of his coworkers. Penny is less upset at this than with the fact that he chose to tell her just as they were in the middle of eloping.
- Bait-and-Switch: On their fifth anniversary of meeting each other, Sheldon wants to ask Amy something. Instead of proposing, however, he asks her if he should start watching The Flash (2014). This upsets Amy so much she ends up breaking up with him.
- Celebrity Paradox: Sheldon is planning whether to commit to watching The Flash (2014) or not. If he had, he would have seen Cisco wearing a "Bazinga!" T-shirt.
- Cliffhanger: All storylines in this episode end in one. Leonard and Penny are about to get married, only for Leonard to bring up the time he kissed someone during his North Sea expedition; Raj can't decide whether to keep dating Emily or not; Howard is trying to kick Stuart out; and the biggest one of all, Sheldon and Amy break up just as he was going to propose.
- Downer Ending: No one gets what they want in this the season finale.
- Take That!: Leonard mentions that Smallville nearly broke Sheldon due to taking ten years just for Clark to finally become Superman.
- Wham Line: After Sheldon and Amy break up, Sheldon turns to a figurine of Gollum.Sheldon: Well, Gollum, you're an expert on rings. [takes out an engagement ring] What do I do with this one?
- Wham Shot: The very last one, with Sheldon taking out an engagement ring from his drawer.