Penny gets the chance to perform in a workshop version of RENT. When the guys hear her sing, they decline her invitation.
- Consummate Liar: Sheldon tries to advance his abilities to lie in this episode.
- Dreadful Musician: Penny's singing is not pleasant sounding.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf : Penny's rendition of "Out Tonight." While her voice is passable, the part is beyond her singing ability.
- Insult to Rocks: "If cats could sing... they'd hate it too."
- Low Count Gag: Penny's replacing a girl in a workshop production of RENT. It's a one night showcase, but they invite a lot of casting people and agents, so she hopes for a big break. She's not a good singer though, and there is a low count joke about the audience.Leonard: Why dont you tell me about your showcase last night?
Penny: Oh, it was okay I guess, wasnt a big turn out but they both really seemed to like it.
Leonard: There were only two people there?
Penny: By the end. Yeah.
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: Sheldon invents a drug-addicted cousin.
- Rule of Three: Leonard utters "I don't know what to say" three times when his lie of going to a symposium is eventually railroaded onto Sheldon's lie of visiting his cousin Leopold on Long Beach.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: Leonard successfully avoids seeing (and hearing) Penny in RENT but he ends up watching Penny's performance anyway because someone recorded it on the night.
- Shout-Out : To Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The guys discuss why the robots would create a hot 17 year old Terminator.