Chakotay and Seven crash in an isolated section of an alien planet and make friends with the indigenous people.
- Alien Non-Interference Clause: Whoever visited the planet first clearly didn't have one.
- Commander Crash: Goddammit, Chakotay!
- Drives Like Crazy: Paris, according to the Ledosians.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Seven's attempt to break through the shield allows the Ledosians to get through, and their scans of her equipment means they'll eventually find their own way through it.
- Ship Tease: Averted; given they were alone together on a planet, Robert Beltran and Jeri Ryan wanted to explore the attraction Seven had for Chakotay (first shown in "Human Error") but weren't allowed to. So their Relationship Upgrade in the series finale appears to come out of nowhere.
- Space Whale Aesop: We shouldn't let our modern ways interfere with indigenous cultures. If only we had a forcefield to put around them...
- The Speechless: The non-technological people, apparently—they never speak a word.
- Stern Teacher: The Ledosian Driver's Ed instructor, who has little tolerance for Tom's impatience and attempts at flattery.
- Two Lines, No Waiting: There's a comedy B Plot involving Tom Paris being forced to take a spacecraft driving test.
- Unishment: Tom diverts from his driving test to save Chakotay and Seven. As a result, his instructor says that he's failed and is thus banned from piloting a vessel in Ledosian space. Considering Tom will likely never travel through this area again, he's fine with that.