Originally aired May 7, 2002
Written by Alfred Gough, Philip Levens, and Miles Millar
Directed by James Marshall
Chloe re-connects with Justin Gaines, an old friend who lost the use of his hands due to a hit-and-run, but trouble brews when Clark learns that Justin has gained telekinesis, which he uses to get back at the person responsible for his accident. Lex receives a visit from his childhood nanny.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Asshole Victim: Dr. Wells in the teaser. (See Laser-Guided Karma.)
- Chainsaw Good: Justin attempts to telekinetically use a chainsaw against an unconscious Chloe, but Clark super-speeds in and blocks it with his body.
- Character Death: Both Principal Kwan and George Fordman die in this episode.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Pamela Jenkins appears in just this episode, but years later, in Season 10, she's revealed to be Tess Mercer's biological mother.
- Disability Superpower: After losing the use of his hands in a car accident, Justin gains telekinesis.
- Dr. Jerk: Dr. Nathan Wells, Justin's physician who is completely unsympathetic to his patient and even tells Justin (who, before his accident, was a talented artist) that he's young and he'll find another hobby. Justin angrily states to the not-so-good doctor that he has five malpractice suits against him. After leaving Justin, Dr. Wells complains to his wife and even smugly comments that Justin should be thanking him for getting any treatment at all.
- Evil Former Friend: Justin, to Chloe.
- He Knows Too Much: Justin tried to kill Chloe when she found out he killed Principal Kwan.
- "Hey, You!" Haymaker: Clark pulls this on Justin during their fight in the final act.
- Ill Girl: Pamela is dying of cancer.
- It Always Rains at Funerals: It's raining at Whitney's father's funeral in the final scene.
- Kick the Dog: In the past, Lionel threatened to disinherit Lex if Pamela didn't leave him despite her promise to always be there for him. In the present, he remains unsympathetic to Pamela's plight and even scoffs at how she kept her cancer from Lex.Lionel: She's dying, Lex. Cancer. Probably all those years sitting in the sun in Saint-Tropez.
- Laser-Guided Karma: In the teaser, Dr. Wells offhandedly tells Justin, who's lost the use of his hands because of the hit-and-run, that he's young and he'll just find another hobby. Moments later, Justin uses his telekinesis to cause the elevator that Dr. Wells is on to fall while he's attempting to get out, costing him his hands.
- Mind over Matter: Justin's power.
- Parental Substitute: Pamela Jenkins was one to Lex in the past after his mother died. That is, until Lionel forced her to leave by threatening to disinherit Lex because he didn't want her influencing his son's personality in any way.
- So Proud of You: Sort of. Pamela tells Lex that his mother would be proud of him if she were still alive.Pamela: The truth is, I'm ashamed that it took metastasizing to give me the courage. I let that bastard frighten me into submission for so long. I was too scared to even tell you just once how much you mean to me. How much I wanted to help you grow up.Lex: I wish you had. I might be a better man.Pamela: The fact that you're here speaks volumes about the man that you are. Your mother would be proud.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Lex is initially hostile towards Pamela and refuses to forgive her for leaving him years ago, even after she informs him that Lionel made her do so by threatening to disinherit him. By the end, though, he reconciles with her.
- Villain of the Week: Justin Gaines, a boy with telekinetic powers.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Justin realize the girl of his dreams knows what he's done, he starts to lose it.Clark: You already killed Principal Kwan, how many more are you willing to kill?
Justin: As many as it takes!