Originally aired November 13, 2001
Written by Michael Green
Directed by James A. Contner
Football jock and resident lothario Sean Kelvin falls into a lake filled with Kryptonite and emerges with the power to absorb heat from other sources, including people. Jonathan stubbornly refuses to accept Lex's financial help. Clark asks Lana out on a friendly date.
Tropes present in the episode:
- An Ice Person: Sean becomes one after falling into a lake filled with Kryptonite.
- Big Brother Instinct: Lex tells Clark he's like the little brother he never had.
- The Casanova: Sean has a reputation for being this.
- Deadly Bath: Sean kills Jenna while she's in the shower.
- Double Meaning: Sean comments to Clark that Martha "is hot." Bear in mind that Sean is a heat-sapping metahuman AND a Casanova.
- Friendship Moment: Lex gives Clark tickets to a concert, offers to provide transportation, and then challenges him to step up and ask Lana out on a date, giving him 30 seconds to do so.
- Horror Hunger: Sean is one for heat, but not really a sympathetic example since he enjoys feeding on others.
- Literally Shattered Lives: Poor Jenna Barnum. Sean drains her body heat, and she falls to the floor, where she shatters into pieces.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: Clark is forced to leave Lana to go rescue Chloe.
- Meaningful Name: Kelvin is a unit of measure for temperature.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Pretty much the reason for Jonathan's reluctance to meet with Lex and hear him out.Jonathan: [The Luthors] don't know what it means to keep their word.Martha: "They" is Lex's father.
- Shower Scene: Sean's girlfriend Jenna is taking one when he enters her bathroom hungry for heat. She invites him to join her before being attacked and killed by him.
- Stacy's Mom: In the final act, Sean sees Martha and remarks to Clark "Your mom is hot!"
- Villain of the Week: Sean Kelvin, heat-sapping Lothario.