Originally aired November 13, 2001
Written by Michael Green
Directed by James A Contner
Football jock and resident lothario Sean Kelvin falls into a lake filled with Kryptonite and emerges with the power to absorb heat from other sources, including people, yet he keeps becoming horrifically cold and freezing everything, victims included. Jonathan stubbornly refuses to accept Lex's financial help. Clark asks Lana out on a friendly date.
Tropes present in the episode:
- An Ice Person: Sean becomes one after falling into a lake filled with Kryptonite.
- Big Brother Instinct: Lex tells Clark he's like the little brother he never had.
- The Casanova: Sean has a reputation for being this.
- Deadly Bath: Sean kills Jenna while she's in the shower.
- Double Meaning: Sean comments to Clark that Martha "is hot." Bear in mind that Sean is a heat-sapping metahuman AND a Casanova.
- Friendship Moment: Lex gives Clark tickets to a concert, offers to provide transportation, and then challenges him to step up and ask Lana out on a date, giving him 30 seconds to do so.
- Horror Hunger: Sean is one for heat, but not really a sympathetic example since he enjoys feeding on others.
- Literally Shattered Lives: Poor Jenna Barnum. Sean drains her body heat, and she falls to the floor, where she shatters into pieces.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: Clark is forced to leave Lana to go rescue Chloe.
- Meaningful Name: Kelvin is a unit of measure for temperature.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Pretty much the reason for Jonathan's reluctance to meet with Lex and hear him out.Jonathan: [The Luthors] don't know what it means to keep their word.Martha: "They" is Lex's father.
- Shower Scene: Sean's girlfriend Jenna is taking one when he enters her bathroom hungry for heat. She invites him to join her before being attacked and killed by him.
- Stacy's Mom: In the final act, Sean sees Martha and remarks to Clark "Your mom is hot!"
- Villain of the Week: Sean Kelvin, heat-sapping Lothario.