Volume 6, Episode 4:
So That's How It Is
With the truth revealed, our heroes now have some decisions to make...
Tropes in this episode include:
- Abandoned Area: At the end of the episode, the group decides to stop in an abandoned farm to escape from the blizzard they've been walking in.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Qrow tells Ozpin that all throughout his life, no-one ever wanted him, and he never felt he belonged anywhere, because of his Semblance giving him a cursed existence. Ozpin was the first person who ever accepted him, and gave him a place and purpose. He is therefore devastated by the truth that Ozpin has been hiding and tells him that he feels as though meeting Ozpin is the worst misfortune he's ever had.
- Broken Pedestal: Qrow's faith in Ozpin used to be unwavering. He supported Ozpin's positions no matter what. Even when Ozpin's behaviour concerned Ironwood, Qrow took Ozpin's side without a second thought. Raven couldn't understand why Qrow continued to be loyal even after everything he'd seen about Salem. Even when Ozpin was reincarnating, Qrow faithfully carried out Ozpin's standing orders. However, now that he knows what Ozpin's been hiding, he feels that meeting Ozpin was the worst bad luck of his life.
- Brutal Honesty: When a depressed Oscar asks Ruby if he's going to become another of Ozma's lives, Ruby says he's his own person. Qrow, however, bluntly dismisses it as a lie.Qrow: Don't lie to him, Ruby. We're better than that.
- Combat Sadomasochist: When Tyrian threatens Emerald by reminding her that Cinder's not around to protect her any more, he deliberately cuts his cheek on the blade she's pointing at him with a moan. He then leans forward towards her and laughs.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!":
- When Hazel tries to take responsibility for the failure to obtain the Relic of Knowledge, Salem throws the massive conference table with a mere thought and shouts that wouldn't be fair. As she marches towards Hazel, and stretches out her arm towards him, Tyrian remains frozen on the ground where he fell, Watts quickly steps behind a chair out of her way, and Emerald and Mercury back away from Hazel with terror on their faces.
- When the news about Ozpin returning has been given to Salem, the discussion that begins over what to do about it abruptly stops as the gang notices the windows are cracking. Black smoke starts to leave her body and she tells them all the leave the room. The group is so alarmed and fearful that they leave as quickly as they can.
- Precision F-Strike: When Ozpin suddenly returns control back to Oscar, and Oscar says he's gone. Yang angrily calls Ozpin a bastard for bailing on them when they've still not finished dealing with his secrets.
- Rage Breaking Point:
- Qrow has been extremely quiet all through the confrontation between Ozpin and Team RWBY over the news that Salem cannot be killed, until Ruby asks Ozpin what his plan is for defeating Salem. When Ozpin admits he doesn't have one, Qrow snaps and punches Ozpin, sending Oscar's body crashing into a tree. Quietly, Qrow says that Ozpin was the only person who gave him a place and purpose in life, and now he feels as though meeting Ozpin was the worst luck of his life. His rejection
- Salem becomes increasingly angry the more she hears from her subordinates. When Hazel tries to take responsibility for the fiasco in Haven, she flips over the conference table, but otherwise doesn't harm anyone and focuses on interrogating the truth from them via inciting terror of what she'll do to them. However, she's silenced when Hazel tells her that Ozpin led the protagonists at Haven and is currently in charge of the Relic. As the windows start cracking around her, and black smoke starts swirling out of her body, she orders everyone to leave. Once the doors have closed, she releases her rage with a powerful scream that shatters every single window.
- Self-Harm: When Emerald points her weapons at Tyrian, Tyrian leans forward and casually cuts his cheek along her blade with a soft moan. He then leans in further and laughs at her.
- Summon Magic: Salem creates a glyph on the ground that is very similar to the glyph that was on the glove Cinder used to bring forth the parasite Grimm that stole Amber's Fall Maiden power. From the glyph comes many Grimm arms that she uses to restrain Hazel.
- You Have Failed Me: Salem almost kills Hazel when he attempts to take responsibility for the failure at Haven. She knows that Cinder is still alive, and is determined to leave her to her own devices. She uses Cinder as a lesson to caution the others: Cinder will not be able to return until she has redeemed herself in Salem's eyes because no subordinate should ever put their desires before Salem's own.