Paul sure is tough. Hes got his own way of getting strong, and Ive gotta admit he gave it his all. Thats how he got strong in the first place. But, hey, were gonna get stronger too. Its not gonna be easy, though. So theres only one thing to do. Were gonna have to work harder than Paul. And when we meet up with him again, were gonna beat that guy! What do you say, gang?
— Ash to his Pokémon
Original Title: Uxie's Shadow!
Original Airdate: June 25, 2009
US Airdate: November 21, 2009
- Big "WHAT?!": Jessie's reaction when Meowth tells her she's the one who wanted to take advantage of Ash's depression.
- Call-Back: While not said, Brock stops Dawn after she tries to go after Ash when he leaves the Pokemon Center to talk to him. When Dawn tells him that Ash needs their help, Brock simply tells her to give Ash some space, knowing full well how Ash can be when he is like this.
- Funny Background Event: In the beginning, when Team Rocket is discussing the events of the last two episodes, their Pokémon are seen playing with a roller.
- The Glomp: All of Ash's Pokémon do this to him when Ash promises them they will defeat Paul on the next encounter.
- Growling Gut: Happens to Ash when he and his Pokémon are returning to the Lake Acuity Pokémon Center.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: Team Rocket tries to steal Ash's Pikachu while Ash and his Pokémon are still recovering from their battle with Paul.
- Oh, Crap!: Team Rocket's reaction once noticing Ash and his Pokémon nearby, willing to beat them up.
- Psychotic Smirk: Ash and his Pokémon did a heroic example of this when seen from up close in reverse chronological order.
- Security Cling: Jessie and James hold on to each-other just before they are sent blasting off.
- Ship Tease: The length Dawn goes through just to cheer up Ash is by putting up a show for him and his Pokemon is rather complicated. Nurse Joy even lampshades that Dawn went through so much trouble solely on his behalf after Ash was initially clueless to why Dawn would do such a thing.
- "Super Sentai" Stance: Ash and his Pokemon do this after they save Pikachu from the clutches from Team Rocket. Combined with V-Formation Team Shot.