The arrival of the mail brings Col. Potter news that his first grandchild is about to be born, Margaret a new set of "fatigues" from Frederick's of Hollywood, and Frank the revelation that his wife has learned about his affair.
Attention! Attention all personnel! The mail has brought the following tropes:
- The Bet: Radar runs a betting pool for the birth date, weight, and sex of Col. Potter's grandchild.
- Blatant Lies: Radar sees inside Frank's letter after it "accidentally" comes open while he's making tea for Colonel Potter.B.J.: Steam'll do that.
- Chewing the Scenery: Literally: Frank actually rips the stuffing out of a pillow with his teeth when he reads the letter from his wife.
- Meaningful Name: Col. Potter's granddaughter is named Cheryl Pershing Potter, after General John "Black Jack" Pershing.
- MST: Not to the same degree as in previous installments, but Radar's home movies do prompt a few riffs from those assembled. Radar takes them with good humor.
- Newhart Phone Call: Radar arranges several throughout the episode for Col. Potter and Frank. Margaret listens in on Frank's.
- Take That!: One of the newspapers Hawkeye's father sent to him.Hawkeye: The sardine cannery burned down. "The last structure in town designed by Frank Lloyd Wright."
- Your Cheating Heart: Louise Burns finds out about Frank and Margaret's affair after a neighbour passed through the camp as a patient before going home.